• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Guide to TDS

Hi all,
I have some cuttle fish in the tank.
That should be fine, you shouldn't need to add any more dKH. The rate of dissolution of the cuttle "bone" will depend on how soft the water is, softer water will dissolve the CaCO3 more quickly.
I will keep adding the bicarb of soda
I'm not a fan of sodium (Na) addition, I don't think you need to add it, but if you did want an alternative potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3) would be better.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

That should be fine, you shouldn't need to add any more dKH. The rate of dissolution of the cuttle "bone" will depend on how soft the water is, softer water will dissolve the CaCO3 more quickly.

I'm not a fan of sodium (Na) addition, I don't think you need to add it, but if you did want an alternative potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3) would be better.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel. I have ordered some – can you suggest a suitable quantity for a 100 litre tank. My usual carbonate test strip is the lightest green with a hint of yellow.

Hi all,
can you suggest a suitable quantity for a 100 litre tank. My usual carbonate test strip is the lightest green with a hint of yellow.
I like a 100 litre tank, it makes the calculations easier. For potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3) it is:

7.2 g of KHCO3 in hundred litres gives 2dKH and that should be plenty along with the cuttle bone.

Don't worry about the strips, just use the calculation, (from <"James' Planted Tank">). If you want the full workings they are in Larry Frank's article at <"the Krib">.
1.5g NaHCO3 in 25 litres of water = 2 dKH
1.8g KHCO3 in 25 litres of water = 2 dKH
1.2g K2CO3 in 25 litres of water = 2 dKH

cheers Darrel

Back