• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Growing Chlorella vulgaris deliberately?

louis_last

I want to start a mixotrophic Chlorella vulgaris culture as a better food for my moina cultures than yeast because of how easy it is to crash them feeding yeast. The price for some of the 'mediums' for growing this algae are an absolute joke, has anyone here got any experience growing this stuff? Maybe someone can recommend an appropriate fertiliser. A good source has sugggested anything with a 6-1 N-P ratio. I'm struggling to find a fertiliser with that ratio but I'm thinking biobizz organic fish mix with a 5-1-4 N:p ratio might do the trick?
Also curious to hear of anyones exeperiences with freshwater phytoplankton in general, I used to have a bucket going outside that I just peed in every once in a while and it kept a greenwater culture ticking over nicely but I've evolved beyond piss buckets in my life now and need a better solution.

I just generally keep shallow trays of old tank water outside,chuck some leaves in and a hefty dose of any fertilizer I have to hand.
Soon goes nice and green so I feed that to my Daphnia with the addition of the odd organic chicken manure pellet.

I just generally keep shallow trays of old tank water outside,chuck some leaves in and a hefty dose of any fertilizer I have to hand.
Soon goes nice and green so I feed that to my Daphnia with the addition of the odd organic chicken manure pellet.
I've had great results using chicken manure for daphnia outdoors too actually. I want to try and get a bit more technical with the chlorella and culture it mixotrophically for maximum production and nutrient profile. I just need to find the right mineral or organic fertiliser, chicken manure may well work actually but I would have to sterilise it to make sure other bacteria doesn't take over in a mixotrophic culture.

Hi all,
has anyone here got any experience growing this stuff?
<"Miracle Gro"> could be the answer. Chlorella is a Green Algae, so it has exactly the <"same requirements as all the other plants you want to grow">.
I would have to sterilise it to make sure other bacteria doesn't take over in a mixotrophic culture.
Chicken manure would definitely work. The main issue (with all these cultures) is usually contamination with Rotifers etc.

cheers Darrel

Back