• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Grindal Worm

Any live food buffs that can help me??
I seem to have a whitefly infection in the Grindal worms, and a mite infection in the Whiteworms. Do these stop the cultures?
I managed to get some clean whiteworms transferred to a next culture and put it at 9 degrees C, but the grindal worms are worse. There are a gazilllion tiny little white things jumping and crawling around. Even getting the culture much wetter doesn't phase them.

Hi all,
There are a gazilllion tiny little white things jumping and crawling around. Even getting the culture much wetter doesn't phase them
Ed they sound like spring tails (Collembola), I find numbers tend to fluctuate, so they may just die down again.

Mites are a problem, if they are brown and fairly active they are "House mites", if they are white, almost circular, inactive and have a slightly unpleasant sweet smell they are "Cereal mites" (Acarus siro).

House Mites are difficult to deal with and cause your culture to crash. I tend to throw away culture where I see them and re-culture from a clean source.

I always have Cereal mites, which just compete with the Grindal worms for food, and you can control them by feeding Rolled Oats rather than "instant porridge oats". I just add the oats under the glass and then wait a couple of days, without feeding. The Grindal worms will disappear back into the compost, but the Cereal mites will have a field day amongst the Oat grains, meaning that you can skim the whole surface layer off mites and oats off (I just use a spoon) and dispose of it.

cheers Darrel

Back