• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Greetings from Scotland

Been an blundering amateur enthusiast for over 10 years now, from a humble goldfish tank to a heavily planted tank.

Started off with some rescued shubunkins that a former friend was threatening to 'cook n flush' just because she wanted tropicals. Ugh!

Anyway the shubunkins grew and so I purchased a bigger tank to house them alongside comets and goldfish which all lived a long life.

When they passed on I went through a period of success with a planted tank of community fish. However I made a very stupid mistake of not doing my research and introduced a paradise fish into the fray, and unluckily it was an aggressive male. He was eventually moved to his own tank after causing too much stress and some deaths I'm very ashamed to say.

That big tank just never recovered properly after that (mainly because I had a job and toddler to look after). And that paradise fish (or pirate fish as my daughter calls him) is the only fish I now have (I can't blame him for my mistake though).

To kick me while I was down, recently the big tank that has been sat with a few sad plants has since suffered a huge cyanobacteria attack. I've been using Easy Life's Blue Exit to slowly eradicate the bacteria over the past few months and have been using snails to clean the algae bloom that was also present. The snails have done an excellent job of cleaning, and I have scooped out a lot of the dead Cyanobacteria slime, but as you can see the tank is still pretty bad.

e129b0f118627576fa99dfbb880e3664.jpg

I'll be looking to redo this tank and do it properly this time. Be it on a budget as I was one of those unlucky to be made redundant with the recent oil crisis.

Hopefully I can wise up and find the much needed expert advice you all have.

Happy to be here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back