• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green water will my circumstances sort it out?

oliverar

Hi, I am building up a planted tank, but so far I don't have any plant's! I do however have a ricca back wall which I plan to put in in about 2 day's, will this sort it out, I am also going to be adding more and more plant's over the next 2 week's or so!

Oliverar

Four item contribute to Green Water:

A) High lighting
B) High ammonia (nh4)
C) Imbalance of Nutrient levels
D) Disturbance of the substrate

I think we can rule out "A" as the only plant you have in the tank is a moss, "B" is a good bet, "C" could be a possablility and "D" is a good bet.

We need more info - tanks stats to dertermine the root cause.

Regards
Paul.

Ok, well it is a 1 foot cube tank, it is lighted with an 11w light and has an internal canister filter ( super-fish tetra-tech 100). I am running it with the Diana Walsted idea, so I have got soil in the bottom, I have quite a lot of apple snail's but it is nowhere near overcrowded, the only food that goes into the tank, is nettles, spinach and cucumber for the snails. I think it could be D as I have recently put in a little more soil, as I was not happy with how it way laid out. Is that enough?

Can you be more specific regarding the soil? I think that triggered your ammonia spike. I just wander how did you put the soil under the gravel with water in the tank. Just reset it, change the soil and boil the gravel. Next time when you start a tank using Diana Walsted method don't turn on the lights for 2 weeks and do lots of water changes to get rid of ammonia.

It is just some potting topsoil from my garage, it is one of the brand's she recommended. So what should I do now? Would I be able to get away with a load of water changes? I don't think the ammonia is very high because I have got a lot of those seed shrimp which wouldn't survive the ammonia I don't think.

I think you are right. But is enough an ammonia spike to trigger the green water. Maybe Paul's - D Disturbance of the substrate could trigger it or there's some ammonia in the gardening soil. Dunno. Anyway what you can do for green water is either to use an UV filter or use the willow method: http://www.fishkeepingtalk.com/2008/03/ ... illow.html

Back