• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Green water algae after no water change for 2 weeks (high tech)- how to treat root cause?

MichaelJ

The surface of the water can have green or brown things floating on it and the light, shining through those things can cause the rest of the tank to appear to be green or brown.
That makes total sense. My tanks surfaces are almost covered in duckweed and frogbit and the water column do actually appear slightly greenish because of that. Darn it! :) I should have thought of that answer.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

John q

We cannot control what others have heard of
Socrates 392 BC?

Classic... Hope you don't mind Clive, but I'm pinching that quote.

"I will not make any deals with you. I’ve resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own."

Move on, nothing to see here 🙉

MichaelJ

Socrates 392 BC?
Was he in The Matrix ? :lol:
I will not make any deals with you. I’ve resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own.
The Prisoner ? Patrick McGoohan - he turned down an offer to play James Bond for a role where he could ride a kit car.... go figure.

Cheers,
Michael

Stan510

I've never seen that. I think what he's posted is a bit garbled. There is just no way free floating algae will gather at the surface like plankton. Now,if his overall aquarium is green and shooting it from a certain angle accentuates it? Sure. Like how any aquarium looks clearest front to back-- and when you look from the long side all that is not seen before is seen. Gray or tinted.

tiger15

Free floating is a misnomer. Green water is made up of Euglena, flagellated single cell photosynthetic eukaryote. They are suspended in water and capable of free swimming.

Stan510

Not buying. Nobody who has cultured green water for fry has said its "always at the top'..and the water is clear lower. I mean aquariums are not that deep and I'm SURE flagellates are no match for HOB filter or airstone to mix waters.
Nobody else has posted of this problem that I've come across.

rebel

I once had a green water problem. I paid $80 for a UV unit. Within one day the problem was gone. I have never had to use the UV since. I suggest you borrow the UV unit for one week and pay the owner $10.

tiger15

Not buying. Nobody who has cultured green water for fry has said its "always at the top'..and the water is clear lower. I mean aquariums are not that deep and I'm SURE flagellates are no match for HOB filter or airstone to mix waters.
Nobody else has posted of this problem that I've come across.
Euglena are weak swimmer that can swim towards light shining on top. They have flagelate like sperm that can swim towards egg that made you and me. Euglena is half animal and half plant, and at one time thought to be protozoa with chloroplasts.

I cultivate green water outside to feed my daphnia culture. The water often turned green in hot summer when daphnia went dormant, or in early spring before daphnia revived from winter rest.

rebel

If the OP truly had an outbreak of Euglena, then increasing CO2 could make it worse?

It looks like Euglena can use CO2 to photosynthetise....?

This might be especially true if they can occupy the upper parts of the tank and starve the plants in the lower parts of light, CO2, and maybe even O2. This assumes that flow is unevenly distributed, which it is in my tank due to the hardscape design.