• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green rain water?

Karmicnull

Hi all,
For my new tank I'm using 50/50 rain water and tap water with a view to happier plants and stocking some softer water fish. It drops me nicely down from ~330 TDS to ~200 TDS, and most plants appear to be happy (frogbit v. happy). I popped some RCS (20 or so) in, and noticed a few deaths - but also berried shrimp. Following @dw1305's suggestion I added some daphnia to my water butts, to monitor their quality. I now can't see them in the water butts at all - but they are 250 Litres and deep, and there's a lot of sky reflections, so it could be me. Finally, I have noticed that the water coming from the water butts has got a distinct green tinge to it in comparison to tap water. I have no idea whether this is good or bad. Is it something other people using rain water see?
Cheers,
Simon

Hi all,
I added some daphnia to my water butts, to monitor their quality. I now can't see them in the water butts at all - but they are 250 Litres and deep, and there's a lot of sky reflections,
You can have a fish around in the butt with a fine mesh aquarium net, ideally you want to swirl it around in a "figure of eight" pattern, but I just look at the water I've drawn off normally. I recycle 6 pint milk cartons, so the Daphnia are easy to see by peering through the bottle entrance.
Finally, I have noticed that the water coming from the water butts has got a distinct green tinge to it in comparison to tap water. I have no idea whether this is good or bad. Is it something other people using rain water see?
If you don't have a lid they are likely to develop a <"very fine green tinge">. It doesn't matter, and as/if the Daphnia bloom they will clear it up.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel. There is a lid on the butt. Just went out to get my daily 10 Litres - took a quick snap of the rain water and the tap water side by side (below). I shall keep my eyes peeled for Daphnia in the water I draw off. Given I have no fish in the tank at the moment I might get another batch of Daphina to pop in there for an immediate diagnosis.

In case it's not blindingly obvious rain water is the left one, tap water the right!
Rainwater vs Tapwater.jpg

Cheers,
Simon

That's a normal colour for rain water, it's the same as comes out from my covered water butts. I think it's just natural tannins that are collected on roof, gutters or in the butt. It's just aged water really and the fish don't mind.

Last edited:
Back