• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green Pekoe Pond - 40 litres

Hi all, Looks like Utricularia graminifolia on that photo.
Crikey, how on earth did it get in there? It couldn't have come in with the moss as it's from my garden so I'm guessing it hitch hiked on another plant but nothing has gone in for months except two pots of tissue cultured plants... I have to say, it's brilliant it decided to grow as it's something I've never thought of putting in there. Can you imagine if it flowers! Wow.

Last edited:
I have been keeping an eye on this thread, probably one of my favourite tanks! So natural looking. What type is that fern growing on the emersed twigs?

What type is that fern growing on the emersed twigs?
Hi Dominic, Darrel identified my twig fern for me:
I think if it has survived outside it must be Hart's-tongue Fern (Asplenium scolopendrium), because all the other ferns with similar undivided fronds (Asplenium nidus etc.) are tropical.
I don't know how this is going to grow long-term. Being a native fern I do wonder if it needs a dormant period like the carnivorous plants I've started to grow. I guess it will be good for a couple of years but I'd go with the tropical version mentioned above.

Hi all,
Being a native fern I do wonder if it needs a dormant period like the carnivorous plants I've started to grow. I guess it will be good for a couple of years but I'd go with the tropical version mentioned above
I think it will probably be all right, but you can buy small plants of the Bird's-Nest Fern (Asplenium nidus) at Garden Centres etc, they would eventually get too big, but would be fine for a few years. Paulo (LondonDragon) bought a really nice terrestrial Microsorum at IKEA, in this thread: <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-new-15l-opti-nano-nº1.6731/page-3>.

cheers Darrel

That's a fantastic looking plant for above a tank… a great contender for my Wabi-Kadi™ number two. I definitely think the green neons are really appreciating the extra cover above the surface. Feel a bit guilty they were feeling a bit exposed before. Thanks Darrel.

Just popping my head back in...I love this aquascape. Very very well executed, the perfect nature aquarium in my eyes.

Hey Ian, good to see you popping back and can't tell you how dead proud I am that you like my little tank!:) Everything really happened by accident as I just kept adding plants I liked and wanted to grow. The big sword is becoming my latest surprise - its gone into turbo mode and keeps getting bigger and bigger! I know its out of scale with the tank but the fish absolutely love it…

back from a week on holiday... pics of what the tank looked like after a week of no glass cleaning. plants all looked in good condition. Just left it as it has been running with no extra ferts added before I left.

Mid-afternoon before clean up:
14502795029_b010870987_c_d.jpg

Evening after a 20 minute clean up and water change:
14666434816_8a6039fcb9_c_d.jpg

Cheers Alastair, If I can get this to look even half as good as your choco tanks, I'll be a happy man!

I'm kicking myself as recently stayed at a holiday cottage with absolutely hundreds of little heart's tongue ferns growing next to a little stream running alongside a lane - I could have supplied half of UKAPS with twig ferns! Countless other mosses and liverworts mixed in there as well. Shame I was distracted by the local cider.[DOUBLEPOST=1406903616][/DOUBLEPOST]Hey, fame at last... Andy Warhol was right!

Back