• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

green algae taking hold - help please

oddn0ise

After taking some close-up pictures I can see the green algae taking hold.
Although the colours do look really nice, it's time to get it under control.

The tank is over 15 years old, 270L, and when changing scape (August '18) I retained the original Amazonia soil, and to me the tank just feels dirty.

I was using Purigen to clean the water but have stopped as it seemed to slow the flow down. Have changed from simple inlet hose to a spray bar which may be part of the problem.

I don't give the tank too much attention, 10% water changes every two weeks. Bigger water changes once a quarter. Light levels of fish food. Dosing of low amounts of Easy Life ferts.

CO2 goes on two hours before lights fade up, and two hours before they fade down,

Lights are LED tiles fading up to 90% for 8 hours. And I have one T8 tube on at peak for 2 hours.

Below is a picture on the tank in Sept '18 and then a recent close-up (6 months) You can clearly see the wood covered in green.

Any guidance would be appreciated
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 00.06.46.png

Hi all,
After taking some close-up pictures I can see the green algae taking hold. Although the colours do look really nice
It looks lovely and natural, that isn't algae that the wholey natural and <"beneficial periphyton">.

A few types of snail would help and the shrimps will pick at it.

Your plant health loooks good and the green algae is photosynthetically the same as the higher plants, so if you have <"conditions that favour plant growth"> you also have conditions that favour the growth of the green algae.

cheers Darrel

Back