• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green algae on rocks, anything to worry about?

CheckeredRust

Hey all, I'm 18 days into this new tank. My lighting hours are about 8 hours daily. Recently I cut a piece of sunblock like film and covered some parts of the light to reduce the intensity.

Today I just noticed there are some green algae growing on the rocks, very close to the area where I glued some java moss to. I also noticed there 'white' hair like algae that's on the java moss.

Are these algae anything to worry about?

PXL_20210623_070945870.jpg

18 days into a new tank is not long and algae is to be expected. When doing your W/C maintenance you just toothbrush off rock algae , run your fingers through moss as it collects dietrus.When its cycled add a algae crew. Your right to asses lighting its often mentioned on here. I like a little green algae on rocks looks really natural

I also find white areas of rock, like those pictured, seem to be particularly prone to getting covered in green algae. I had the same on some white patches on some otherwise dark grey Seiryu stone - the only areas that attracted a covering of green algae were the white ones, whilst the rest of the rock remained largely free of it. I assumed this was just because the increased reflectivity on those parts of the stone caused a higher light intensity at those points, which made them more favourable for the algae.

Today I just noticed there are some green algae growing on the rocks,
Hello,
Green algae on rocks is a reliable indicator that your lighting is excessive. If your goal is to cultivate algae then this can be considered a success, however, there are a couple of early indicators of doom in a planted tank that hobbyists typically ignore. One is surface scum and the other is algae on hard scape.

Cheers,

Back