• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Great British Scapers!

Courtneybst

Hey everyone!

After a very inspired chat with a fellow US-based aquascaper, I've decided to organise a competitive scape group for UK enthusiasts. The USA have 'The Aquascapers Collective' and I thought, I don't think we have anything similar? (Correct me if I'm wrong).

The premise of the group would be;
  • A group of varied skill level aquascapers who want to get involved with competitive scaping. There's no criteria or elite mentality but rather 'steel sharpening steel', helping each other improve our skills by inspiring each other, constructive criticism and sharing tips. You might be adept at growing plants but not so good at hardscaping and vice versa!
  • Check ins to see how the group members are progressing and help each other if needed around competition time.
  • Encourage more people to get involved with competitive scaping and increase British representation at these events.
  • Bring awareness to the lesser known competitions.
  • Possibly start a dedicated section on the UKAPS forum (if we're allowed :))
I appreciate that aquascaping isn't the cheapest thing to get into, much less competitively. However, there are so many talented people around the country and on this forum and I'd like to facilitate in forming this group. The group name is still being worked on but if you're interested please reach out below or in messages and let's get scaping together!

Courtney

Last edited:
The Great British Scape Off ;)
Given the rate of knockoff bake-off shows on the TV now, this is bound to happen sooner or later 😂

You might be adept at growing plants but not so good at hardscaping
I feel seen

Would def be interested, I'm not super into the competition hyper aesthetic, but I'd love to get better at all the skills involved and make more lovely fishy friends. I'm sure we've got our own British aesthetic we can develop! Also, would love to be able to source some more lovely bits of hardscape that they seem to have elsewhere in the world like sennagi roots and posh things like that which are used in the competition scapes.

Seems like a great idea. Think it should definitley be based around UKAPs if the admin team agrees. Is there any aquascaping uk only competitions going on? Ive not seen any UK only. Maybe if not some of the sponsors of the forum would be interested in hosting regional compitions to move to a UK final.
Maybe scaping competitions with time limits and restricted materials to chose from. See what people can create from the same items.
Maybe some of the plant producers could sponsor etc. Reduce the cost and bring some new blood to the hobby.

Who is going to email the TV companies asking for a scape off 🤔🤣

Seems like a great idea. Think it should definitley be based around UKAPs if the admin team agrees. Is there any aquascaping uk only competitions going on? Ive not seen any UK only. Maybe if not some of the sponsors of the forum would be interested in hosting regional compitions to move to a UK final.
Maybe scaping competitions with time limits and restricted materials to chose from. See what people can create from the same items.
Maybe some of the plant producers could sponsor etc. Reduce the cost and bring some new blood to the hobby.

Who is going to email the TV companies asking for a scape off 🤔🤣
There was one back in 2016

There was one back in 2016
I found that one as well. i was thinking if the right people get involved you could do scape off in shops around the uk. Everyone gets the same time etc. Can have an audience. Entry and audience fees can go to the store to make it worth while. Hopefully sponsers could provide plants etc for exposure. Try to reduce the cost to a minimum to get a wider applicant pool. Not everyone can afford the kit to compete. Myself being one of them. But i still need practise anyway 🤣

Great idea, co.pitition always increases awareness and good fun for those who take part. And a way to improve with the best around you ( the people who are doing it for themselves and the enjoyment) keep us posted I'd be interested.

We have discussed something like this a few times, due to sponsorships people get etc... this usually opens up a can of worms!!

We have discussed something like this a few times, due to sponsorships people get etc... this usually opens up a can of worms!!

Has UKAPS/anyone ever approached one of the manufacturers (Eheim/Fluval/Dennerle etc.) to see if they would be willing to put together a bundle nano aquascape kit for a small competition. Willing participants could then sign up and buy this kit (hopefully at a decent discount) and competitors would see what they could do using the same equipment over a set time period? It could be good advertising for the manufacturer and good fun for everyone involved :)

Has UKAPS/anyone ever approached one of the manufacturers (Eheim/Fluval/Dennerle etc.) to see if they would be willing to put together a bundle nano aquascape kit for a small competition.
Think you missed @Courtneybst point, this is not about creating a competition (there are plenty out there and UKAPS had one last year too and thinking about something for this year), this is about creating a group of UK Aquascapers under a brand with the aim to enter their tanks into competitions! The collaboration is to improve themselves, but this is something that then goes offnet and a lot of those aquascapers then only publish stuff after competitions.

Think you missed @Courtneybst point
Think I did too. I went off on a tangent as I do :D - The collaboration sounds very wholesome, but that's how I see UKAPS which is basically a brand in itself. But I get that the UK is completely under represented on the big stuff, like the IAPLC - so its a good idea for a more 'professional' body to form for this sort of purpose :thumbup:

Thanks Paulo for the clarification, I haven't forgotten about this by the way folks! I'm working out the logistics so it's a worthwhile thing to be part of. If anyone wants to give suggestions I'm open to ideas!

Some of the things I'm working on include creating a digital meeting space, so possibly a group chat on a social media platform or even a dedicated channel on UKAPS potentiality for people that don't want to sell their souls to Facebook Inc. 😂

I'm also collating all of the known competitions into one easy to read and easy to distribute calendar. Again, let me know if this exists already but I've not found one.

Anyone that's interested let me know!

Cheers
Courtney

Most of these groups when started already had some top experienced scapers that already ranked high in competitions. It's not for your average planted tank enthusiast like myself for example haha
Why not create a section on UKAPS dedicated to the phylosophy of aquascaping and competetions aquascapes, and try and get as many of the UKAPS member to enter competetitions with some level of guidance and bolster the UK numbers, to be honest the UK Aquascaping scene is not big, we have a few dedicated stores now which is good, now we need to start scaping ;)
Most of us in the UK are just planted tank enthusiasts like me and don't create tanks for competitions or have the resources to do so. But as a group there is always the oportunitity to share hardscapes etc...

Most of these groups when started already had some top experienced scapers that already ranked high in competitions. It's not for your average planted tank enthusiast like myself for example haha
Why not create a section on UKAPS dedicated to the phylosophy of aquascaping and competetions aquascapes, and try and get as many of the UKAPS member to enter competetitions with some level of guidance and bolster the UK numbers, to be honest the UK Aquascaping scene is not big, we have a few dedicated stores now which is good, now we need to start scaping ;)
Most of us in the UK are just planted tank enthusiasts like me and don't create tanks for competitions or have the resources to do so. But as a group there is always the oportunitity to share hardscapes etc...
Am I able to create a section myself? Or is this something I need to get from the admin team?

Cheers

Reading through @Courtneybst and the one thing I would add is that face to face is extremely valuable. Ironic in a lockdown I know, but fleshing out ideas in an organic fashion really loses something somehow if it were to only be online. Not an either or, but both.

Back