• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gravity water flow

Depends on the pressure ie head of water above the open pipe.

Last edited:
It’s for the base of a trickle tower so there should not be any volume of water standing in it
I’ll be using Japanese matting as a media so that should not restrict the flow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s for the base of a trickle tower

Do you have a drawing/diagram of the design?.. The idea in my head says.. More then one hole or as much as possible.. If you worry about noice, than redesign and put the complete base under water.. And inch is more then enough and it be quiet. In case possible lower the complete tower towards the water level.. :)

It’s very basic for a stock holding tank of fancy goldfish
I will sit across the width of the aquarium on the support bars

350 mm tall
350 mm long
150mm wide

Look up aqauponics, system build is simular, auqaponics is designed for plant growth, but with substrate only it still would be still a filter.
Searching aqauponic litre per hour
i bet you'll find some inspiration in required sizes.. If it doesn't match 100% you'll be very close if you triple a 1000 litre p/h setup for example.
:)

350 mm tall
350 mm long
150mm wide

But reading this now.. This dimensions x litre per hour? I'm afraid no bottom at all.. :p And it still splashes all over the place..

Imaging you need media, results in less water volume.. WIth such an amount of littre per hour = 58 litre per minute.. :) And 1L per second...

Cover your sealing and take an umbrella..

Good luck..

3500 litres per hour flow
Do you need this flow rate. The tower that you wish to build is it an oxidizing tower to convert say ammonia/ammonium ions to nitrates. You may be pushing water through the system faster than it can be processed. Have you considered a lower flow rate with a lower volume of better treated water but with a pump in the goldfish tank to effectively distribute the treated water around the fish tank.

For your goldfish tank turn over the equation: Time = k[Volume (of tank)/Flow Rate (of water entering treatment tower) where k is a constant. units typically: gals/hr or litres/hr.
For 99.99% of the water to be treated k = 9.2. k is smaller for lower % of water treated. k = 4.6 for 99.0% k = 6.0 for 99.9%

This equation assumes instantaneous mixing of treated and untreated water, hence a pump in the goldfish tank to help circulate the water and move closer to instantaneous mixing. From this you can work out the time and flow rate need to treat all of the water in the goldfish tank. In reality there will always be dead spots and you can never get instantaneous mixing, but its a start. The links that zozo put up are good.

Regardless of flow rate into the tower, a good overflow system would be wise.

I went with a larger trickle tower made from Ikea Trofast boxes it works brilliantly and I’ve filled it with Japanese filter matting so it can handle the flow
e89e6934492928f7a11729afaa56b9a4.jpg

Back