• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Got 60p, 25kg Frodo Stone, Need advise

Shinobi

So I haven't done a whole lot of rock work in the past.
needless to say this stuff is a lot harder than it looks, and the amount of soil used to create the slopes is surprising to me as well, even though i tried to use lava rock as a filler.

So this is what I got done today:
P1010319.JPG

This being my first effort I'm more than open for suggestions and advices. Personally I still need to bust some stone into smaller pieces for details but i would like to hear what you guys think for now :)

It is harder than it looks, but with practise it becomes easier.
You can give yourself an advantage by having a larger selection of rock to choose from.
So if possible buy more than you think you will need, it'll give you many more options.
This is perhaps a better solution than breaking this kind of rock up; it usually fractures in to uninspiring shapes.
Although very small fragments are fine to create the illusion of weathering and erosion which adds a more natural appearance.

Actually like this layout a bit more. Also it leaves more room for stems in the background. After looking at some inspiration I realize that this size of scape is either heavy on the hardscape or more focused on the plants, leaving a bit more room. Knowing myself I think I'm going to enjoy watching the plants grow and thriwe more than a lot of static rocks
IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

Second effort is way better.

Are you going to try more layouts? Or are you happy with this one?

What rocks do you have left over?

Second effort is way better.

Are you going to try more layouts? Or are you happy with this one?

What rocks do you have left over?

Made a few adjustments but think I'm settling for this look. Guess I have about 7kg of rocks left but they are rather large so don't think they are going in. I ordered 25kg online so unfortunately I didn't have the option to pick the stones out myself. As soon as the plants arrive I will start up a journal and we will se how this one goes :)
Thank for everyone's inputs

Back