• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Good Morning from Germany

Dominik_K

Hello dear ukaps community,

my name is Dominik and I am a 26 yo. IT-Student from Germany. I came to the fish-keeping hobby about 10 years ago and had a break for some years due to limited space and money.

About two years ago I moved to a new place, offering more room for me and the hobby I love. Saving up for a tank, I noticed the awesome tanks that were called aquascapes. I started to collect every piece of information i could get and in August last year I started out with my first little scape.

This one was pretty terrible, it has only lasted a few weeks and so did its descendant. Currently I run my 54 liter tank for about four months now with the same layout and it seems to work out pretty well, despite some GSA issues. But better than the tries before :)

As this forum was a great inspiration to me, I hit the button and signed up for it. I really love the scapes here as well as the tons of information one can get.

At the moment I am saving up to get a bigger tank, thinking about a custom-made 80x40x40 rimless one.

If there is anything you would like to know about me, feel free to ask.

Best Regards
Dominik

PS: Please excuse my language skills, I am obviously not a native speaker and therefor messing up with both, grammar and spelling.

Hi and welcome..

Also to the typo / spelling club.. :) Once heard a Oxfort English scholar say, in the 800 years it excists there yet is no definition for proper English. It seems to be the most versatile language on the planet. :thumbup: Good for us.. :peeking: And you're at one of the most forgiving forums around, i can tell.. :rolleyes:

Welcome. also. Too right Marcel, it doesn't matter, just as long as we understand one another and get along fine;)
Although, us Brits have "Standard English", and those of us that are posh enough, speak it with what's know as "Received Pronunciation"...like what I do:D
Dominik your English is fine, and I wish I could speak and write in another language half as well as you and Marcel...but I can't:meh:

Dominik, perhaps you could start a journal so we can share your journey.

wish I could speak and write in another language half as well

Actualy you do, English is derived from Galic, Germanic, Latin and Anglo saxon.. :thumbup: So you already speak 4 natively.. :p

A germanic word as example = Enough, in (mideaval) Germanic Europa it was still speld as Ghenough, for you it became Enough, fr us it became Genoeg and for the real Germanics it became Genug.

Quick we also still use in our language but spelled Kwiek and means about the same. :) We are more affiliated as you might think or maybe hope. :cool:

But Ghenough about that kwiek to another matter..

Last edited:
Hi,

thanks to all of you ;)

Since I got pretty bad grades for my English skills in school, I am still a bit intimidated about writing in this language. Thanks for being this courteous.

@tim: Once I started to order all the different things for my new tank, i will write a journal for sure. My current tank is getting a bit ugly, since I used it to grow moss for the new one on each and every stone in there. Hence I don't want to show it to the world at the moment. Maybe i can take a nice final shot before taking it apart.

Besides that, don't worry about your language skills. You're blessed with the most important as a native language. If one tries to get any information within the internet, English helps a lot. People like me sometimes don't even know what to search for. The vocabulary is simply missing.

@Marcel: Although I knew about a lot of affiliated words between the English and German languages, i did not know about your exampe (enough / genug). Thanks for that, I am kind of collecting them. Some other ones are the Apple, which is called Appl in northern Germany and Apfel in common German. A degrading version of the word woman within my native language is "weib" which sounds pretty similar to wife if one has a Swabian accent. There are a lot more, had a little lesson about that in school ;) I think that was the only time my German teacher had 100 percent of my attention.

Have a nice day, the university needs me. Or the other way around ;)

Best Regards

Than you might want to listen to old Hamburg Plat (dialect the elder still speak) the northern language travel route from east to the west.
It is surpisingly close to northern Dutch dialects, they could flowlesly speak and understand eachother. I'm from the southern Netherlands and my native dialect is about the same as Kölsch plat. If i go to Cologne i do not need to speak German, my local plat is Ghenough. :)

Frisian is apparently the living link between our two languages.

Yes and this relates back further to the north, Danish etc. Well i don't have to say i guess.. Hamlet, Danish prince. :) In medieval era the Isle of angels was a sanctuary for the royal and noble mad, thats why good old Hamlet ended up there playing the fool. Kinda explains alot, don't you think. For example Mounty phytons flying circus succes. :lol:

As said that old German dialect from Hamburg is very close to Frisian dutch and Frisian German and likely Danish. Even Norwegan has a lot simularities.

Take,
"50 Ståplasser i den buss" (Norsk) = "50 Standing places in the buss" (Eng)= "50 Staanplaatsen in de bus" (NL) = "50 Stehplätze im bus" (Ger). Actualy starnge if you hear it and don't get it. just very little differnce makes it for many not understandable at first..

Hi and welcome!

Don't worry about your English... I think that about half of UKAPS most active members aren't English native speakers anyway! ;)

"50 Ståplasser i den buss" (Norsk) = "50 Standing places in the buss" (Eng)= "50 Staanplaatsen in de bus" (NL) = "50 Stehplätze im bus" (Ger).
= "50 lugares de pé no autocarro" (Portuguese)

Sorry, couldn't help it! :lol:

ake,
"50 Ståplasser i den buss" (Norsk) = "50 Standing places in the buss" (Eng)= "50 Staanplaatsen in de bus" (NL) = "50 Stehplätze im bus" (Ger). Actualy starnge if you hear it and don't get it. just very little differnce makes it for many not understandable at first..
That's a great example...linguistics is fascinatingly awesome...

That's a great example...linguistics is fascinatingly awesome...

Absolutely is, it's a pitty language purification drives us apart. But the more you learn the easier it becommes in the end with noumerous aha moments in how it all still fits together and travels along around the continent. :) Maybe i was lucky raised in multi nationality family at the crossroads of 3 countries. We have a place where they all meet, stand with each leg in a different country and fart in the 3th. :lol: Kinda became polyglot before i could write. With 3 languages spoken in the family and learned additional 2 and could add another 3 i never learned to speak but can read and kinda follow a conversation between the lines. One became very rusty in speach and writing because lak of practice and the large distance to get regularly among the croud.. But it's like riding a bike, once you learned it stays latently present just need to hop on again and it rolles along again.

Now the latest crisis started to realy anoy some politicians and it kinda woke some up it seems. Because English is considered the world language it was obligation to study it. But in reality the obligation never realy made sense, only one % ever goes to England. Now they want to change it to, or at least add German. I do not know what took them so long or what mind illuminating pill they have invented and swallowed. But suddenly out of the clear blue sky it occured to them that learning a direct neighbours langauge could be economicaly more beneficial. :rolleyes: Duh? It took them till 2016 to find that out and needed a politician for it too. Duh?? Dunno if the Germans should be so happy with that idea. :D

Than you might want to listen to old Hamburg Plat (dialect the elder still speak) the northern language travel route from east to the west.
It is surpisingly close to northern Dutch dialects, they could flowlesly speak and understand eachother. I'm from the southern Netherlands and my native dialect is about the same as Kölsch plat. If i go to Cologne i do not need to speak German, my local plat is Ghenough. :)

I heard similar stories from a friend, living near cologne, who works a lot with Dutch people. And even I understand surprisingly much, if someone from the Netherlands is talking. I guess a complex conversation would be impossible, a smal ltalk could work though. Written text is much harder to me, but that's another topic ;)

What a fascinating thread! Welcome aboard, Dominik, and thanks for your interest already - keep asking questions, it's a great way to learn

Back