• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Going soil and need advice!

Bert2oo1

Hey guys I'm putting soil in my tank and need abit of guidance. Iv got enough soil to have 1 inch cover. I'm also going to be mixing in red clay powder and dolomite lime.

My question is,
how much lime should I add?
How much clay powder should I add?

I've got 500grams of clay powder and 2kg of dolomite to use.

My tank is 120x50x50cm.
I'll be capping with Eco complete (1inch capping)

Any advice would be great!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be honest I'm not sure.

My understanding is that it depends on what substrate you are using and your water hardness.

I live in a soft water area, so I'm adding red clay but i have a brick of it, rather than dust. I have seen people roll it into large pea sized balls and stick it straight into organic compost.

to be honest I'm not sure.

My understanding is that it depends on what substrate you are using and your water hardness.

I live in a soft water area, so I'm adding red clay but i have a brick of it, rather than dust. I have seen people roll it into large pea sized balls and stick it straight into organic compost.

Thanks :) I also have very soft water. 40ppm from the tap. I ended up using 400g of clay powder. I put in half an inch of soil and then sprinkled the clay powder over the top
And then added another half inch of soil over the top.

I didn't end up using the lime as I read mixed results about it. As I was adding my fish back straight away I didn't want risk it.

I've had the soil in for a week now and I'm happy so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great news! I'm also in the process of setting up a new tank. I used john nine number 3 last time, which was good.

This time I'm using a mix of john innes no3, aquatic compost from b&q, with red clay mixed in (only mine is wet modelling clay). Im going to cap with spagnum moss then also gravel.

I'm having a nightmare deciding on filtration. I'm going to put a betta in there but I'm worried 10x volume of aquarium flow rule will be too much.

Back