• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Going high

pseudodiego

Hi everyone. Here is my journal about my first high tech tank.

About me: I have been on this hobby for over 20 years now. I began with a 400 liters tank made by my father with gambusias and a pumpkinseed that we captured in a local lake here in Spain. Since them I have mantained a bit of everything: Angelfish, Discus, Corydoras, tetras, Rasboras, pea puffers, Ancistrus, Neocaridinas, Cardinas, goldfish and some more that I might not remember now. I have mantained plants for a long time too, but mostly low tech species like Anubias, java fern, cryptocorynes, etc. Now I wanted to try something different.

Some of my previous tanks:

IMG_20200320_172455.jpg

For this one I tried with DIY CO2, and Manado as substrate, but after a time, the montecarlo and the alternatera Reinicki began to melt, and I ended up scrapping the project.

IMG_20210328_185421.jpg

This one is still running today, it's a low tech 300 liters with just Tetra species on it. I quite like it.

About this Tank:

Tank and Cabinet
- 60x35x35, custom made by me and my father. The cabinet is 80x35x36, made by us too.
Lighting - Chihiros WRGB II 60
CO2 - 2Kg
Filter - Aquaclear 30, and Sera Fil Bioactive 130.
Substrate - 3 kiles of Ada Powersand S, 8 kiles of HELP advance soil, 3 kiles of Amazonia powder, and some Croci river sand.
Ferts - A mix of Seachem and easy-life
Hardscape - Seiryu Stone and Redmoor Wood.
Plants - Montecarlo, Eleocharis mini, Cryptocoryne Parva, Anubia petite, Bucephalandra Red, Weeping moss, Staurogyne Repens, Rotala Rotundifolia, Rotala Boschii, Rotala H'ra.
Future stocking: Between 10 and 15 nano fish(still to decide), 10 amano Shrimp, some otocinclus if there is enough algae for them, some Nerite snails(Still to decide, because I don't like the eggs), and maybe some Bladder snails and Neocaridinas blue velvet.

Photos:

1639641318066.jpg

1639641318102.jpg

1639640247370.jpg

1639640247445.jpg

And that's all for now. I accept feedback and suggestions about the future stocking for the tank.

Last edited:
Good luck, looking promising! The chihiros are strong lights, Ive got mine running at 45% intensity for 6 hours and even that seems sufficient for most plants.

Good luck, looking promising! The chihiros are strong lights, Ive got mine running at 45% intensity for 6 hours and even that seems sufficient for most plants.
Yeah, I'll probably put it at lower intensity, but I'm looking for fish tolerant of intense light just in case.

Well. Happy to say that everything is going smoothly after filling it.

19b3af88-709c-4b6a-9ade-434e571e0e15.jpg

Everything is growing nicely. Only four problems so far:

1->The inlet getting covered on algae, as the shrimp and snail can't get to it. I might replace with a metal one. to avoid having to clean it often.

2-> The Amanos enjoy playing football with the substrate, and a lot of it ends in the sandy part. As soon as the carpet roots get it in place, I'll just siphon it out and add some new sand.

0713f5d5-1130-4661-8762-da969b5ba3b1.jpg

3-> The amanos(Again) started devouring my alternatera reinicki mini. I suppose there wasn't enough algae in the tank. Because as soon as I started adding more food, they stopped.

4-Weeping moss getting entangled with the carpet plants all the time. I'm beginning to hate mosses, and I'm seriously considering removing it.

So, in short, nothing too terrible.

About the fish, I ended putting 12 micro Boraras Briggitae and 8 Danio Margaritatus. I had a low tech tank ready for the Boraras because I read that they don't enjoy bright lightning, but so far they don't seem to mind at all, always staying under the lighted area instead of the more shady part. And they acted as a dither fish too, because as soon as I put them it the Danio Margaritatus got a lot more brave.

c43205db-7e5a-4723-b680-6252c74f3b5f.jpg

And that's all for now.

Back