• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Go get some leaves!

I would guess there alright but im not confident enough to say yes 100% safe, someone on here will know for certain though ;)

Look like not quite ready for the tank elm leaves.
Don't know if you folk's even have elm tree's across the pond though.

The trees they've come off are nowhere near as big as Elms lol :)

The trees they've come off are nowhere near as big as Elms lol :)

Well,small elm's have small leaves,and larger tree's have larger ones.:cigar:

I take it your adding the leaves because of nutrients they will release as there broken down? can you add them to any tank? I have pretty much an unlimited supply of leaves

I take it your adding the leaves because of nutrients they will release as there broken down? can you add them to any tank? I have pretty much an unlimited supply of leaves

Hi Dan,

Its not really nutrients that the leaves give. Leaves are added due to the tannin they release, they can have anti fungal properties which are quite useful in shrimp tanks, as it can also act as a feeding ground for shrimps to graze on microorganism that develop on the decaying leaves and eventually the leaves themselves. I often leave leaves :confused: in the shrimp tank and not intentionally feed the baby shrimps with algae wafers etc as there are enough leaves for them to graze on so I don't run the risk of excess feeding. Some use the leaves to create biotopes too.

Some people will use leaves to help induce spawning as they can often lower the ph depending on how much is used and tank size. Others will use leaves like Indian almond leaves to aid female bettas' recovery after spawning too. Leaves could also be added in containers which have fish eggs in due to their anti fungal properties. Alder Cones could also be used to achieve same the same effects has leaves.

P.S. You can put 'em in lots of different tanks providing the fish/shrimps will like lower ph levels or softer water. Leaves are great to use as a source for creating the black water effect which can be seen in say the amazon.

I'm goin to try this also as I have a shrimp and a betta, will this do anything to fresh water limpets or snails as I have a few in the tank and would like to keep them

I'm goin to try this also as I have a shrimp and a betta, will this do anything to fresh water limpets or snails as I have a few in the tank and would like to keep them

it shouldn't harm snails, in fact like the shrimps the snails could graze on the leaves.

Ok the leaf is in, has been for a few days and has sunk, snails love it, the shrimp likes to hide under is but hasn't started eating it yet, my fish seemed to become slightly better, but has now gone back downhill, i think I'm going to loose him, had to change tank, so in an unicycles tank too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that Dan, sounds like you've got some problems that are unlikely to be fixed with a few leaves. Maybe a new thread for some advice?

In the meantime, a little leaf lovin' -

em540127_edit_edit_2_by_hairytoes-d6wprgx.jpg

If i was to collect leaves now, is it much of a drama? Under the top layer of leaves in my area im finding intact whole leaves.

Oh, I am so jealous. I've been searching for an unpolluted area here to find oak leaves and I couldn't(at least there are none nearby my sofa :rolleyes:)
I got a few bags sent to me last year and I still have lots left. I prefer them to the almond leaves which break down pretty fast and in high flow tanks the dust from them covered everything. I suppose because I dump enough to cover the entire bottom...thankfully the ph stays rock solid if you use liquid rock water. Oak leaves last for ages for me(if there are no shrimp to eat them) and they don't seem to make the same mess as the almonds. I have to try some beach leaves too.

If i was to collect leaves now, is it much of a drama? Under the top layer of leaves in my area im finding intact whole leaves.

I reckon you'll be fine. They'll probably have a whole ecosystem of bugs on then at this time of year so probably worth a rinse, dry and rakeover before storing them to minimise household microfauna.

Oh, I am so jealous. I've been searching for an unpolluted area here to find oak leaves and I couldn't(at least there are none nearby my sofa :rolleyes:)
I got a few bags sent to me last year and I still have lots left. I prefer them to the almond leaves which break down pretty fast and in high flow tanks the dust from them covered everything. I suppose because I dump enough to cover the entire bottom...thankfully the ph stays rock solid if you use liquid rock water. Oak leaves last for ages for me(if there are no shrimp to eat them) and they don't seem to make the same mess as the almonds. I have to try some beach leaves too.

Yeah oak are pretty long lasting (and nice looking). Beech should last 2-3 times longer still.

I think as long as it is from a deciduous tree it is generally alright.

Back