• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gluing plants/moss lower than the water line

Epiphyte

I normally glue my plants on where they need to be before flooding the tank, but due to the recent plant shortage I wasn't able to complete the moss section of the scape before I needed to get water in the tank.

Now thanks to AG, I have the remainder of my plants ready to go, but some need to be placed low in the scape, below the level I can realistically drain the tank. I'm happy to leave maybe only a few inches of water in the bottom for the fish but that won't be enough for a specific area of moss I need.

Thread isn't an option either as the rock it's being glued to is huge and partially submerged in the substrate.

Cyanoacrylate will not work submerged, so is there any other types of moss-friendlt adhesive that will work attaching mosses and epiphytes to stone and wood under the water line?

I find that Everbuild high viscosity superglue gel works fine underwater.
Interesting, I know thick superglues do have a longer set time but assumed submerged they'd be next to instant. Do you get white drip marks when gluing under water?

I've used the Gorilla Gel Cyanoacrylate based superglue to attach moss and epiphyte plants on a pre-filled tank several times. Figure out in advance exactly where, in what position, and orientation you want the plant or moss, add the glue to the moss or plant, then just plunge it straight down into place as swiftly as possible, and hold/press it there for 30 seconds. Works a treat.

Interesting, I know thick superglues do have a longer set time but assumed submerged they'd be next to instant. Do you get white drip marks when gluing under water?
It's really thick so doesn't drip but it does set white. If it's under moss it should grow to cover it though. The set time stated on the bottle is 10-30 seconds. I'd say it's closer to 30 seconds under water as it seems to create a skin before actually setting. As Wookii says, place it on the moss then quickly and firmly place it where you want it.

I've used the Gorilla Gel Cyanoacrylate based superglue to attach moss and epiphyte plants on a pre-filled tank several times. Figure out in advance exactly where, in what position, and orientation you want the plant or moss, add the glue to the moss or plant, then just plunge it straight down into place as swiftly as possible, and hold/press it there for 30 seconds. Works a treat.
Good to know for future..

If you don’t like the white deposits of standard superglue and you worry you may have difficulty hiding it then you can get Black Superglue instead, this one from Permabond - 737 Black Magic, uses carbon black as the filler according to the MSDS. Alternatively you can make your own by adding dry carbon black powder and mixing into standard superglue.

Nice one, I never knew that. I wonder why the branded Aquascaping glues don’t use that type instead of bog standard Cyanoacrylate.

I have no idea other than it would be more expensive, it’s easier to rebottle and relabel someone else’s formulation than make your own, there’s more use for cyanoacrylate in a Marine aquarium for gluing coral where white colour would be preferable.

You never know someone in the aquarium sales game may sit up and pay attention and provide it.

:)

Back