• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glossostigma Elatinoides - Die Off

Lee Sweeting

Hi all! I've just bought and planted some glosso in my tank. I've had some initial die off, i'm presuming from submerging the plant. New runners and shoots are starting to form, so i'm guessing all is well!? My question is; do i now trim the die off or do i leave it for now? The glosso has only been planted for a week, and i'm just a little worried that the plants won't recover from the initial trimming having not had long to put down roots.

I'm a newbie so any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Lee.

Im still a newbie myself but I trim anything thats dying off, mainly to help prevent algae but also I believe that it helps the plants to use its energy for new growth instead of wasting it on dying leaves

Hth
Mark

I read similar to but after reading many of ceg's post there is nothing more important than a clean tank, maybe I took this a bit to literally but I trimmed the dying bits of my hc and it grew like mad, maybe better to wait a bit until someone with more knowledge can answer for definite :)

Hi Mark. Yea i'm usually the same to be honest. I'm just a little worried that they have only been in a week. I had read some where that you shouldn't trim for the first two weeks after planting. Not sure if theres any truth in this?
Lee, the answer is: "No, there is no truth in it." Plants will not consult their calendars when it comes to health issues. Remove all damaged and dying leaves and add better CO2/flow/distribution.

Cheers,

Hi Clive! Thanks for the response. Since our last conversation, regarding co2, I have added a spray bar and inline diffuser. The spray bar runs the full length across the back of my tank. Flow and distribution are great. I'm injecting co2 two hours before lights on, which depresses my ph from 7.2 to 6.2 before the lights come on. Ph remins at 6.2 thoroug out the period I inject co2. I also have a nice green colour from lights on to lights off.

I thought this initial die off was due to the plants being submerged!?

Yes, that is true, but the implication of being submerged is that the plant is gasping for CO2, so just increase the bubble rate to help the glosso along. One size does not fit all with CO2, especially with carpet plants which are less talented than others at CO2 uptake. After a while the bubble rate can be adjusted back down.

Cheers,

Back