• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

glossostigma elatinoides carpet tank!!

jam ez!!

Seedling
Hi all,

I've been lurking around for a while now and have decided to upload some photos of my first proper set up, i will try and give you all the info i can, all critics & comments welcome (please dont be to harsh). :lol:

Tank : Juwel rio 125l

Lighting : 4 x 39w 156 watts total @ 8 & half hour per day

Filtration : eheim 2234 external canister

Heating : hydor 300 watt external heater @ 27 degrees

co2 : pressurised system with solenoid vavle @ 1 & half bubbles per second measured via drop checker

ferts : TPN+ @ 4ml per day, easylife easy carbo @ 5 ml per day

water condition : kh = 4degrees & gh 4degrees

Plants : glossostigma elatinoides

Fish : 3 x 10cm snakeskin discus
: 5 x red nose shrimp
: 5 x cardinal
: 3 x algae eaters

Water : Pure reverse omisis with sera ph & kh buffer & mineral salts for the gh

Substrate : Tropica substrate with pea gravel

The tank has been set up for about 2 months now with very little signs of algae, the discus were very hard to adapt to the
lower temp but have now settled in beautifully.

Please see pics below :
DSCF1170.jpg

Snakeskin discus
Dscf1166.jpg

Side elevation
Dscf1168.jpg

Discus in flight
Dscf1169.jpg

Front elevation
Dscf1171.jpg

Front elevation again
Dscf1172.jpg

Side elevation again

Please excuse the poor quality of photos me thinks i need a crash course in photography!!

Thanks Jam ez!!

Nice 'scape, but I also think a smaller fish species would suit it better.

Lovely discus and obviously well looked after :D
Some could argue that discus need cover to feel safe, but colour strains like that are captive bred so probably only known a bare, blue back tank before getting the glosso treatment.

You only have three cardinal tetras? They are a shoaling fish, so at least six as a minimum is advised but ten or more is better.

Nice tank though.

stuworrall said:
very nice setup :D Like the angle of the stone, is is Schist?

I'd be interested to know what lighting youve got setup on the Rio to get 4 x 39w. Im currently running 4 x 18w and could do with more.

hi thanks for your interest, not sure what the stones are called but they were from the green machine
i'm sure if you phone jim or mark they can tell you, as for the lighting i am using an 100cm arcadia overtank luminaire with 4 x 39 watt pro plant bulbs which i also purchased from the green machine.

hope this helps

regards

James

jam ez!! said:
stuworrall said:
very nice setup :D Like the angle of the stone, is is Schist?

I'd be interested to know what lighting youve got setup on the Rio to get 4 x 39w. Im currently running 4 x 18w and could do with more.

hi thanks for your interest, not sure what the stones are called but they were from the green machine
i'm sure if you phone jim or mark they can tell you, as for the lighting i am using an 100cm arcadia overtank luminaire with 4 x 39 watt pro plant bulbs which i also purchased from the green machine.

hope this helps

regards

James
how does the 100cm look on the 80cm Rio 125? does it stick out a bit?

If the rock is from TGM then it will be schist. i like the nice green tinge it has

Fred Dulley said:
Cool.
Discus look fab despite tank size.
Is it the photography making the tank look cloudy?
Nice work.

Its cloudy because i had just changed 50% of the water, it settles down after half an hour or so!!

Thomas McMillan said:
You only have three cardinal tetras? They are a shoaling fish, so at least six as a minimum is advised but ten or more is better.

Nice tank though.

thanks for your comments, there is 5 cardinals in there at the mo but i will be getting more very soon!!

Thanks

james

Thomas McMillan said:

Nice tank though.

thanks for your comments, there is 5 cardinals in there at the mo but i will be getting more very soon!!

Thanks

james

aaronnorth said:
i like it but i think a smaller choice of fish is needed for this etup, they would look fab in a jungle style though :D

thank you for your comments mate, Hmmmmm!! yes i'm starting to realise that now!! :(

I think that the tank is too small for Discus, and they really need to be in groups of five or more.

Making them adjust to cooler temperatures isn't really ideal either, as the welfare of the fish should come first.

I know you must love your Discus but I would either get a larger tank, and a larger group of them or get rid of them.

The glosso doesn't really suit their feeding style either as they like to bounce food particles off the substrate, so a bare patch for feeding is best.

Don't think I'm just snapping away at you for fun, I'm not, but I've seen a lot of great Discus tanks over the years, and the big ones are always the best in terms of aesthetics and the best for the fish.

Themuleous said:
Love the glosso carpet, my glosso does doesn't want to stay low at the moment, grr.

Sam

thanks, what sort of lighting do you have as glosso requires very high light to keep it down also trimming it often helps to stop it from rotting at the bottom!!

Thanks James

stuworrall said:
PS, would appreciate some photos of the arcadia on top of your tank if you have any as ive been struggling to get a decent priced 80cm luminaire.

thanks

Here's my 90cm 4x39W Arcadia Luminaire on my Juwel Vision 180 which is 92cm wide. I took the plunge and it's well worth it!

2008-08-08001.jpg

Back