• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glossostigma Dry Start

CSouthgate

Seedling
Hey all,

I planted some glossostigma about 10 days ago for a dry start everything going great 12 hour photo period, opening the cover a couple of times a day and misting new runners looking great.

Now last night I noticed some very fine white/clear stringy stuff starting to cover patches and had some of the plantlets melting, do I need to move on to having the cover open slightly all the time and just mist more often? or should i flood the tank and pump it with CO2?

I left the cover slightly open since last night but didn't have a chance to have a look this morning before work.

Substrate is TMC Nutrasoil, dennerle nano light 11w, Aquafleur Easy Grow Glossostigma, sorry I cant give you any pictured at the moment I'm posting from work

Cheers in advance for any help

Chris

Sounds like mold or alike. You can try misting some solution of excel, peroxyde, vinegar etc over the plants. Be careful with the concentrations. As you said another option is to flood the tank.

Hmm I have some peroxide left over from a marine algae treatment, wanted to avoid flooding if I can as I want to do a blender method application of some weeping moss onto the wood I have, just waiting for the wood to sink, il try a peroxide solution tonight if no change il flood it and plant some more if I nee to, lost as of last night probably 5 plantlets so not too bad but I assumed it was some kind of mould.

Are you going too far in the opposite direction i.e. it's too damp rather than too dry?

It is possible I went overboard on the misting, home now and the mould spread is terrible so I'm gunna have to flood it I think before I lose anymore, just have to figure out another way to attac this willow moss and keep it looking decent

ah really.. thats a bit of a bugger lol, but i just checked and i am wrong its willow moss i got not weeping, time to do some more reading i feel,

If you want to try keeping it dry, I'd suggest a tooth brush or similar to wipe away any big stringy bits and rough up any bare patches or substrate covered in it, then let it dry out a bit. That's what I'd do with seed tray that had got a bit mouldy. It will probably go away once you change the conditions. You probably don't need to be misting everyday, particularly with plants grow emersed to start with as they are used to being out of water. As long as the substrate feels damp and you've got the tank covered you may not need to mist at all or just once a week or so to keep the substrate damp. I've got HC growing on my window sill in a covered container that's never been misted just a little water poured in now and then when the substrate gets dry.

ah i didnt want to risk losinng too much more so i am in the process of flooding it atm, then couldnt find my non return valve so tht CO2 will have to wait until tomorrow, if it all goes pete tong the lfs is having more Glosso in onn thursday

Back