• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GH Ratio Adjustment for Softer Water

Assuming by 3:1 you mean Ca to Mg ratio... if your keeping invertebretes (shrimps) your might be a bit low on Ca with a 3:1 ratio at 3.5 GH (17 ppm of Ca / 5.5 ppm of Mg) ... The 3:1 ratio is not cut in stone. For instance, in one of my tanks I do 2:1 GH 2.5 in my other tank (shrimp tank) I do 3:1 GH 5.5.

Cheers,
Michael

Assuming by 3:1 you mean Ca to Mg ratio... if your keeping invertebretes (shrimps) your might be a bit low on Ca with a 3:1 ratio at 3.5 GH (17 ppm of Ca / 5.5 ppm of Mg) ... The 3:1 is not cut in stone. In one of my tanks I do 2:1 GH 2,5 in my other tank (shrimp tank) I do 3:1 GH 5.5.

Cheers,
Michael
Thank you for replying. I won't be keeping any shrimp in this tank. I'm more curious about trying softer water just for the effect on plants. I keep mostly South American species and Rasbora. My only questionable species is Neon Dwarf Rainbows. They seem fine at 4.2dGH and 0dKH but who knows.

Personally, I have used anywhere from 0.5gh all the way to 10gh. In the end, plants will grow well in either extreme. In my experience the only thing it affects is my micro dosing. At low GH I got away with as low as 0.016 Fe weekly.

Personally, I have used anywhere from 0.5gh all the way to 10gh. In the end, plants will grow well in either extreme. In my experience the only thing it affects is my micro dosing. At low GH I got away with as low as 0.016 Fe weekly.
Interesting. I'm probably wasting my efforts then.

It's always good to try for your self, I just wouldn't expect any huge differences.
I trust those better at tanks than myself. I will probably let it go as is. The live stock would probably appreciate me keeping it the same. I upgraded there home and was thinking this might be the time to shift things.

Rainbows tend to like harder waters, but I would think they could adapt to 3.5 vs. 4.2 GH - it's not a huge difference - same for your plants.... Likely not worth the bother as @plantnoobdude implies.

Cheers.
Michael
I agree, think I just needed to hear it from others.

Thank you all.

Whilst Dwarf Neons are about the most soft water tolerant of Rainbowfish you're already below their preferred/normal range. Magnesium and Calcium deficiencies do damage long term in soft water.

Back