• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GH booster

Soilwork

I have just realised that my lack of GH might be more pronounced than i originally thought. 1.82 dGH. Magnesium is seriously lacking 1.48mg/l and calcium is 10.1mg/l. Not much in the way of KH either. API test kit says 5-6 dGH what gives there? I have a bit of crushed coral in the filter but i think i need to raise my hardness. Especially since my dwarf sag is showing signs of translucency. Would this make sense? Co2 is well on point. DC and pH meter and ive crept it up even more and i use full EI elsewhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a decent GH booster that i can buy please. What do you recommend?

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up on the test kits. I just want to buy the complete ready mixed booster though.

Hi all,
Can I just use calcium and magnesium sulphate?
Yes you can.

The crushed coral (CaCO3) you have will supply calcium (Ca) and carbonate (CO3). If you want a cheaper option "Oyster (or Cockle) shell chick grit" (sold as a supplement for Chickens or Cage birds) will perform the same role. If you want to up the dKH a bit quicker you could use potassium bicarbonate (KH2CO3) (sold for culinary purposes).

Magnesium sulphate you can buy as "Epsom Salts" (MgSO4.7H2O), that is 10% magnesium.

cheers Darrel

So with the calcium content in the water and the steady supply from the crushed coral do you think I need to add anymore calcium?

I have mgso4 in my EI mix but it's not at full EI. That stuff runs out fast so I only put half EI in.

I know it's hard to give an answer to this question but do you think I even need to up my GH? I do notice improvements with all plants when dosing the macros so I do wonder whether it's because of the additional mgso4.

Compared to most tap waters would you agree agree that my ca and mg content is poor?

http://www.unitedutilities.com/waterquality.aspx

I have mgso4 in my EI mix but it's not at full EI. That stuff runs out fast so I only put half EI in
Observation from years on this forum. Virtually everybody that has ever decided to roll their own EI based version of dosing runs into issues, please dose as per EI, especially if using CO2 and high lights, and see if that improves things.

Hi all,
So with the calcium content in the water and the steady supply from the crushed coral do you think I need to add anymore calcium?
Almost certainly not.
I have mgso4 in my EI mix but it's not at full EI. That stuff runs out fast so I only put half EI in.
but do you think I even need to up my GH?
If you are adding 1/2 dosage EI that should cover it.
I do notice improvements with all plants when dosing the macros so I do wonder whether it's because of the additional mgso4.
It could be the magnesium, but your tap water supply is quite unusual in that it doesn't contain any NO3-. We don't have figures for potassium (K+), but you would be safe in assuming that you don't have any K either.

I'm not an EI user, but you could try full EI for a while.

Relatively few people in the UK will have a water supply as soft (and clean) as yours.

cheers Darrel

Cheers to both. Just for clarification, I am running all other macros and micros at full EI. It's just the magnesium as full EI just seemed like an awful lot when I was putting it on the scales. Something like 95 grams.

I've just ordered a second 60cm Chihiros A series from Hinterfeld too so with potentially double the light over a depth of about 30cm (35cm from actual fixture) I'll definitely need to go whole hog on nutrients.

I'll up my mg. may even order some ca not sure yet.

Thanks guys.

Does John innes no3 contain much ca and mg? Never seem to have a nutrient related issue when using soil. Now I'm over on eco complete I've had lots more to consider.

Seachem Equilibrium is another product for restoring GH and mineral balance.

Seachem Alkaline Buffer for KH.

Michel.

Back