• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting neon tetras spawning?

Nick potts

Hi all.

I am trying to get my neon tetra's to spawn, but so far I am failing. I have a breeding tank setup, leaf litter bottom, tea coloured water, 24c and sponge filter and have been conditioning the tetras with live foods, the female is fit to burst.

Moved the pair over a few days and have been observing them every morning as their lights come on, but not even a sniff at any spawning or eggs.

The tank was filled with RO water with a GH of 3-4 and KH of 0, the PH currently sits at 7.2, I have some water ready to go that is at PH 4.2, should I do a water change with the cooler, lower PH water?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

I'm surprised your pH is over 7 if your KH is zero and you have added a source of organic acids such as the leaf litter? Seriously Fish certainly seems to suggest the pH need to be down nearer 6. I've not bred fish intentionally yet, so I'm following with interest as I hope to do the same with my Chilli's at some point.

I'll tag a few people in who might be able to help with some suggestions . . . @MirandaB, @Conort2, @mort, @dw1305

Also, make sure you post up some pics of the breeding tank, it might help.

Hi all,
The tank was filled with RO water with a GH of 3-4 and KH of 0, the PH currently sits at 7.2, I have some water ready to go that is at PH 4.2, should I do a water change with the cooler, lower PH water?
Yes, I'd go for the cooler water change. You may find that you need lower dGH as well. The other thing that might help (and I understand that this might not be possible) is some morning sunlight. Otherwise just tank light for an hour just after dawn and use really heavily tannin stained water. If the water is dark enough you can use a floating plant and still have the light on. As soon as the female looks slimmer, take parents out of the tank leave the light off and wait a couple of day, fry should appear.

If you've had the fish for a while they maybe too old, you ideally want fish that are under six months old, I think this is true of all tetras.

cheers Darrel

I'm surprised your pH is over 7 if your KH is zero and you have added a source of organic acids such as the leaf litter? Seriously Fish certainly seems to suggest the pH need to be down nearer 6. I've not bred fish intentionally yet, so I'm following with interest as I hope to do the same with my Chilli's at some point.

I'll tag a few people in who might be able to help with some suggestions . . . @MirandaB, @Conort2, @mort, @dw1305

Also, make sure you post up some pics of the breeding tank, it might help.
Thanks Wookii.

Yes, i am not sure why the PH is where it is. I start with 0TDS RODI water and add MgSo4 and caSo4 to get my GH.
Hi all,

Yes, I'd go for the cooler water change. You may find that you need lower dGH as well. The other thing that might help (and I understand that this might not be possible) is some morning sunlight. Otherwise just tank light for an hour just after dawn and use really heavily tannin stained water. If the water is dark enough you can use a floating plant and still have the light on. As soon as the female looks slimmer, take parents out of the tank leave the light off and wait a couple of day, fry should appear.

If you've had the fish for a while they maybe too old, you ideally want fish that are under six months old, I think this is true of all tetras.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, some good info there as always.

I'll give the water change ago and will dime the lights right down. the water is really nicely tannin stained and dark.

I've had them a few months at least, but no idea on age when I got them, this is not something i had heard before so thanks for the tip.

I’d go for a cool water change with pure ro water, say 30 percent or so. May be the trigger they require. I think the spawning of these shouldn’t be too hard it’s more getting the eggs to develop, I believe they may need darkness.

Maybe also swap the male with another if this one isn’t showing much interest.

lower your ph as already said ph around 6 to 6.5 add a clump of java moss dont put a light on the tank natural light works best . You could also try lowering water level for a few days then adding rain water or ro water to trigger spawning.

A bit of live food midge larvae or daphnia on the morning can kick them in to action. ps not all fish have red the book mine use to spawn in display tank around 11am .

Hi all,

cheers Darrel
That is super interesting about the age thing. Is it that older fish are less likely to spawn, or less likely to have viable eggs?

Back