• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting back into the hobby after 10 years, need advice on my 30L nano - Can I use my old 11w tube light style lights? (Beginner to planted tanks)

BouncyShroom

Hi all,

I have a 30L Fluval flora/Ebi back from my high school /college days. Back then, money was scarce and my tank was very basic, with some tetras and some basic plants. Back then, I always wanted a gorgeous carpeted floor. I did try growing some HC, but failed miserably and the tank looked a mess. I kept it as a very basic fish tank until I moved away and kept it in storage. I've attached a pic of when I first had it set up 10 years ago.

Fast forwards now, I want to get back into the hobby properly and explore aqua scaping a planted tank. I've always wanted to grow a carpet, and this is one of my goals. I've pulled out my old tank, and have started pulling it together. I understand that I'll probably need to dose ferts & CO2 (although would try to avoid if I can, or use liquid co2).

My first question is about lighting - My Fluval flora came with a tube light style 11w CCFL (I actually have 2 of these). From memory, I had 2 of these set up at one point, and still struggled to get anything to grow properly. These lights are almost 10 years old now, but I'd estimate they've been used for just over a year or so. They are dimmer now IMO.

Can I use these existing lights? Or am I better getting the new LED style lights? I have been looking at the Fluval plant nano light, and reviews seem good on it. I would appreciate any recommendations or advice.

Attachments

• 09b4599f.jpg
    09b4599f.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 176
Can I use these existing lights?
You can. It looks rather intense though, but hard to judge from a picture. I would recommend getting an LED that's dimmable with a timer and possibly allow you to tweak the color temperature to taste, such as the Fluval Nano light.

Cheers,
Michael

You can. It looks rather intense though, but hard to judge from a picture. I would recommend getting an LED that's dimmable with a timer and possibly allow you to tweak the color temperature to taste, such as the Fluval Nano light.

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks Michael, that picture is 10 years old when I had the tank firstly set-up. It's more dimmer now to my eye. I really struggled to get much growing in that tank using that light, but at the same time I was (and still am) very inexperienced coming to planted tanks.

Back