• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting back into it...

CheeseAndPickle

Seedling
Hi,

Been out of the hobby for about 12 years, i`m sure many things have changed and advanced. Got a few questions if I may? I`d like to setup a planted scape with some shrimp and maybe a few fish.

1. Is EI dosing still the preferred method or is now different?
  2. Starting up a tank from scratch, do you guys still damp start or what`s better now?
  3. What equipment to stick on the shopping list? I used to use Eheim pro 3.`s , T5 lights, fire extinguisher with reg`s, 2-3 layers of substrate etc?
  4. Roughly what budget is needed these days?
Cheers,

Getting back in after a shorter break myself (5 ish years).

Biggest things I've seen is the explosion in popularity and availability of LED lighting.

Other general things I've noticed is that the Walstad method has become more widely used then it used to be. At the same time it seems like liquid carbon (excel or other) based tanks seem to have fallen out of favor, or talked about much less atleast.

Also seems like EI is used more as a starting point then the sacred text these days. Just seems like people time dialing dosing in then following strict EI.

Lastly, the gold standard of CO2 measurement seems to have shifted from drop checkers to tank pH drop.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that external co2 reactors seem to more common then ceramic diffusers these days. Particularly on larger tanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Back