• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get your garden out

Hi all,
Spent some time in the garden today watching bees enjoy the lavender. It's literally buzzing with them.
I <"love Lavender">. I always say to people that making your garden more wildlife friendly doesn't necessarily mean getting rid of all your non-native plants. If you have a sunny, dry spot? Grow a Lavender <"or some Marjoram">.

This ornamental Marjoram (Origanum laevigatum) is just wonderful, it flowers from now until the frost and the bees (and butterflies) love it.

origanum_laevigatum-jpg.jpg

From earlier today, when the sun peeped out <"Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus)"> on the Marjoram, <"Common Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni)"> on Inula hookeri and <"European Peacock Butterfly (Aglais io)"> on Red Valerian.

All non-natives, all attractive to Bees and Butterflies and all incredibly tough and easy to grow. None of them are where I planted them and now they are all intermingled.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Last summer, I decided to give my garden a bit of a makeover. It was quite the project - cleared out some old shrubs, laid down fresh sod, and installed new fencing for a cleaner look. For furniture, I opted for something durable and low-maintenance and bought this rattan dining set. Really transformed the space into a cosy outdoor area perfect for relaxation.
My garden looks minimalist on the plant front, but I'm planning to add a touch of greenery. I've been eyeing some perennial blooms and a few herbs since they tend to be hardier, and I love the idea of having a bit of homegrown seasoning at my fingertips.

ezgif-2-8dd05640c5.jpg

Not the best picture, but always good to see my magnolia tree in flower. It's been so mild this winter it flowered 2 weeks earlier than last year.
I'm also hoping for a bumper bluebell display, there is literally a lawn of them growing in the boarder below the tree.

IMG_8571.jpeg

Back