• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
This is turning out great, George. Very serene and relaxing to watch! The pics look great as always, but I would love to see a video of the tank too.:)

I have the Panasonic HC-X800 and it really is superb. Thank you for your answers to my questions about light and PAR levels. I am struggling to find Ian Holidich's journal, "A New Adventure. I have given more thought to this and reason that I am probably better off suspending my tiles as you have. Surely better to have 2 @ a lower % than 1 @ 100%. It would also give me greater flexibility. What do you think?

I have the Panasonic HC-X800 and it really is superb. Thank you for your answers to my questions about light and PAR levels. I am struggling to find Ian Holidich's journal, "A New Adventure. I have given more thought to this and reason that I am probably better off suspending my tiles as you have. Surely better to have 2 @ a lower % than 1 @ 100%. It would also give me greater flexibility. What do you think?
Keith,
Go to forum, click journal to enter journal forum. The journal you are looking for is eight down , a new adventure by ian holditch. Excellent journal

Charlie

Hi all,

I found myself with some spare time this afternoon so managed to get the camera out. :)

The tank has been flooded for almost one month now. I'm still content with the overall progress - especially the way the mosses are developing. The grasses are due a trim soon and the E. tenellus is really starting to get going. This will be one to control.

The fish and shrimp seem happy. All feeding well and active - lots of baby shrimp cutting about.

It took me a while to dial in a suitable CO2 level. I really don't like to see sluggish livestock as a result of CO2 intoxication, but at the same time love to grow plants quite fast without algae. Anyway, the CO2 is bang-on 1 bubble per second, which sees the drop checker a shade darker than lime green. There's virtually no algae, except some minor BBA on the wood that's remaining under control, even without liquid carbon (I've run out).

I have some more plans with regards the background. Next week I'll probably be adding some new plants - so stay tuned!

Anyway, here are the latest pics.

8559427193_207e7bedb6_o.jpg
one month full by George Farmer, on Flickr

8559427625_f9fe800d05_o.jpg
embers pair by George Farmer, on Flickr

8559428031_de7ab4ec9e_o.jpg
moss wood rock combi by George Farmer, on Flickr

8559426065_e71c98917c_o.jpg
angle above by George Farmer, on Flickr

8560535298_b9faffe409_o.jpg
embers shoal 2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8559426365_df7033f419_o.jpg
insitu one month by George Farmer, on Flickr

And a dodgy iPhone video, but you get the idea...

Love that "above angle" shot. Those moss's are also coming on a treat. Overall it's looking great!

What are your plans on upping the number of tetras or are you happy with the amount in there?

Thanks guys. :)

What are your plans on upping the number of tetras or are you happy with the amount in there?
Not sure yet mate. I'll see how the new plants work out and go from there. Either more of the same, or other small tetras.

Surely you dont keep the tank this full all the time??
Pretty much, yes. But I usually have a cover glass fitted to prevent evaporation and help keep the temp up a bit (I'm running a heating mat). It also prevents any suicidal shrimp/fish.

Are yo thinking of putting any stems back in at the back or leaving as is?
Got a few plans for the back, middle and right... Not 100% sure yet. They involve Rotala sp. "green", C. helferi and Linderia rotundifolia.

This weekend I'm going to do a major grass prune so may be able to get another update soon. I will try to get some nice moss macros too.

Thanks again,
George

Looking great, still amzed how good that method with yoghurt turned out and how quickly rock and wood get that natural feel with coral and fiss. As mentioned to you before did not expect coral to attach so well :thumbup:

Hi George,..just finished reading your entire journal. Just want to say that it's been really refreshing to see the complete "warts" at all accounts of it. It's wonderful & encouraging for us to see how even the great ones do it. Learnt a lot.:)

Never been a fan of DSM in the past but the method for the mosses turned pretty impressive and very natural, proved done correctly for the right reasons it can work pretty well, but I still don't see the point of DSM for standard plants, just flood it, turn up the CO2 and the plants will adapt quickly anyway and you will get better results in the same time frame.

Once the grass at the front gets a little more compact it will look even better, now time to wait for those stems to recover ;)

Congrats George one of your best works :)

Never been a fan of DSM in the past but the method for the mosses turned pretty impressive and very natural, proved done correctly for the right reasons it can work pretty well, but I still don't see the point of DSM for standard plants, just flood it, turn up the CO2 and the plants will adapt quickly anyway and you will get better results in the same time frame.
Thanks mate. I agree. It's been nice to try DSM, and it's worked well for the mosses, but I doubt I'll bother using it for anything else in future.

Hi all,

Earlier today I did a few bits of maintenance and thought I'd take a few pics to share.

Moved the Ludwigia from the right to replace the empty area leftover from the unsuccessful Ammania. The empty space on the right will probably mostly contain Rotala sp. 'green'...
8561313171_e43c64e4f8_o.jpg
moved ludwigia by George Farmer, on Flickr

Cleaned glassware and filter hoses...
8563220348_7038e955b9_o.jpg
clean glassware by George Farmer, on Flickr

Water change (40 litres) using RO water...
8561311053_40009d9a73_o.jpg
water change 2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

Refilling using my special red colander...
8561311155_7fd7923114_o.jpg
water change 3 by George Farmer, on Flickr

Back