• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's Nano Sanzonia

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Here's my latest set-up, a 25cm acrylic cube.

I live away from home during weekdays, as my workplace is around a 90 minute drive. My accommodation is small but comfortable, and a little Iwagumi is a nice addition I feel.

Here's the tank supplied with its original LED lighting that was white/blue LEDs. I swapped it for a 11w Aquadistri unit. The filter is built into a false back wall. There's a 260lph powerhead (no flow loss). Actual volume of water after substrate and hardscape displacement is only around 12 litres I reckon.

I hope you like the photo. I used my studio lighting and a makeshift white background made from stuck together pieces of A3 paper! :lol:
4463442698_3549c0c1e5_o.jpg

Here's a full-tank shot (photographed with tank lighting only). I planted about a dozen single glosso plantlets and the tank has been set up a week now.
4524169608_ebc3edf24b_o.jpg

New runners growing nice and horizontal. Substrate is 'Up' Aqua Soil. I don't think it's available in the UK. It's very similar to ADA Aqua Soil but there's no ammonia spike or staining of the water.
4523537613_698104038b_o.jpg

The tank sits on a cheap Interpet stand, designed for one of their off-the-shelf systems. It's not the best, but it does the job and the finish matches the lamp.
4523537453_c573fd4e7c_o.jpg

An overview of my work and play area.
4524169422_f33ec06f47_o.jpg

I am dosing daily (when I'm there) -

1 drop of ADA Green Bacter and ADA Phyton Git
2ml Plantedbox Liquid Carbon
1ml Tropica Plant Nutrition+

I am changing 75% water twice per week.

Once the glosso is established I plan to add a small group of cherry shrimp and reduce the liquid carbon dosing.

The aquascape is very simple, but I think it will look nice when it's mature. Some will think the glosso blows the scale, but I'm not fussed to be honest.

Clean and simple every time! :D

Feedback is more than welcome!

Re: Acrylic Nano - Simple Sanzonia

Really nice George, must be great to have a 'home' away from home. Those cubes do look the part but I'd be scared of running a big rock down the front when I was setting up. How did you find the acrylic?

Re: Acrylic Nano - Simple Sanzonia

That a really nice little tank, very neat system, I take it there is no heating ?

Just shows that small tanks in dorm rooms need not be a cramped goldfish with yellow gravel! T

ILooks excellent!
Iv seen those about, looks like they could be nice as a little shrimp tank maybe even a VERY experimental nano marine (No fish of course.) Not sure about the LED lighting that comes with it, very basic although the dimmer effect is kind of nice but on the other hand in comparison to the actual size of the tank the filter is HUGE!

I've already seen a nano reef in a tank that size, Mowze.
Very Nice, George. Are you still with the RAF? What's the substrate? It reminds me of that resin coloured gravel you can get.

NeilW said:
Really nice George, must be great to have a 'home' away from home. Those cubes do look the part but I'd be scared of running a big rock down the front when I was setting up. How did you find the acrylic?
Thanks, Neil! :)

Living away from my wife and children during the weekdays isn't ideal, but it's made more bearable by the excellent facilities and social life here.

I have managed to scratch the acrylic already, but it's not too bad.

TBRO said:
That a really nice little tank, very neat system, I take it there is no heating ?

Just shows that small tanks in dorm rooms need not be a cramped goldfish with yellow gravel! T
Thanks, TBRO! :)

There's no heater. Water temp is 21C at the moment.

saintly said:
nice mate.

your the king of minimalist planting, and seem to over come, and break all the walls that lie ahead.
Thanks, Mark! :)

Yes, I've found with good maintenance practices and products you don't need to cram a tank full of plants to avoid algae etc. If one can afford lots of plants or have access to them though, it sure helps! ;)

bumcrumb said:
very smart mr farmer lol, wouldnt mind a little cube for my hide-away from the missus :lol:
Thanks, bumcrumb! :)

All of us blokes need our 'cave' to have some time away from our other halves. Absence makes the heart grow fonder too!

JamesM said:
Very smart cube.. shame you had to change the light.. what was the reason?
Thanks, James. :)

The supplied light was a white/blue mixture. You couldn't turn the blue LEDs off, so it looked terrible for a planted tank. I think the later production models have better light units.

Mowze said:
ILooks excellent!
Iv seen those about, looks like they could be nice as a little shrimp tank...
Thanks, Mowze! :)

I plan on keeping cherry shrimp in this. Relatively hardy and easy to keep, so more ideal for me being away during weekends.

Garuf said:
Very Nice, George. Are you still with the RAF? What's the substrate? It reminds me of that resin coloured gravel you can get.
Thanks, Gareth! :)

Yes, I'm still in the RAF. Ten years now. Going for Phase 3 Instructional Duties (Weapons) as we speak, which allows to me to get civvie teaching qualifications for if/when I decide on a second career that perhaps doesn't involve aquatics or photography.

The substrate is 'Up' Aqua Soil. http://www.up-aqua.com/00-dm-page/00up_ ... il-big.jpg

I've not seen it available in the UK, but there's good reports from elsewhere - I guess it's likely made in the same factory as most of the other 'complete' substrates. Initial impressions are very good.

Thank again, all! :D

Sorry its off-topic but just took a gander at the fancy goldfish tank you put together in the new PFK and it looks excellent. Don't think you'll get much growth from those plants though ;).

That was going to be something I was thinking about doing in the future, combining goldfish and opti-white :thumbup:. When I finally get round to it I'll check out Star Fisheries as they look like they have some nice looking fish.

Cheers,
Neil

Hi.. Nice to see one that is 25cm.

I just got one looking very similar, but it is named Betta Cube, 20cm acrylic cube.

Got an extra led light system for it, so hopefully it will grow HC and Staurogyne.

Cheers,
Luis

Nice one, George - I'll be watching this with interest, as I've been thinking of getting a one of these nanos for our new offices (the landlord in our old place had an 'orrible great tank full of cichlids, so I should be able to get a sweet little nano past the boss).

Why Sanzonia - does it mean anything?

Interesting nano.... but wheres the plants? Im shocked at how few plants you have used, there looks to be only about 5 cuttings. Fingers crossed they take quick!

Nice work station, we have the same calendar.

Why the larger glosso vs the smaller HC on this size of tank George?

NeilW said:
Sorry its off-topic but just took a gander at the fancy goldfish tank you put together in the new PFK and it looks excellent.
Thanks, Neil. :)

Lisa_Perry75 said:
Looking nice Mr F :) whats the turnover from the filter? Can you choose the media or is it a cartridge based system?
Thanks, Miss L-P :)

Filter is 260lph. I'm not sure about available media. I'm just using the supplied sponges.

gt568 said:
You seem to have forgotten everything since I released you from your "mentoring"... :lol: ;)
Tor-mentoring, more like! :lol:

paul.in.kendal said:
Why Sanzonia - does it mean anything?
Thanks, Paul. Sanzon is the basic Iwagumi layout, usually with 3 stones I believe. :D

Graeme Edwards said:
Interesting nano.... but wheres the plants? Im shocked at how few plants you have used, there looks to be only about 5 cuttings. Fingers crossed they take quick!

Nice work station, we have the same calendar.
Didn't you see my last 60cm Iwagumi? A couple of pots of HC and 1 pot of hairgrass from start-up.

Liquid carbon should help both growth and algae prevention, as well as ADA Phyton Git. I'm deliberately overdosing but will cut back once the plants are established and add livestock.

nry said:
Why the larger glosso vs the smaller HC on this size of tank George?
They were the only suitable plants I had to hand at the time. Simple as that really!

Thanks, all! :D

Small joke, look at one of the pictures in pfk with your Fancies ( the black Fancy ) and you understand my sense of humor

Back