• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's 120cm - Nature's Reflection v2

paul.in.kendal said:
Aah George - what a shame! Do you not have any pictures of it you can use for IAPLC? I guess not, knowing the amount of prep you'd probably do before taking competition pics. What a brilliant set-up though - for me, seeing 'big' fish looking so lovely in a planted set-up was/is a real eye-opener.
Thanks, Paul!

The tank is not grown in enough to enter yet, so I've not done any photos with equipment removed etc. It will be a very close call on the 31st May, even if the algae and crypt melt issues get sorted in time. There's always the AGA later this year.

I like the fish too! Not my usual taste but it's good to step out of our comfort zones sometimes.

Bobtastic said:
Just a quick question, how have you attached the moss to the wood? I can't see any thread... Have you used glue?
Superglue. Much quicker and easier than thread!

I always used Loctite Superglue Gel in my reef tank... Less runny so easier to handle...

Reefers also use it in-situ in the tank, as in dip your arm in the tank, apply the glue under water, hold the things together for 30 seconds, job done... Never had any ill effects to my fish and corals... Would imagine the same would be OK in a planted tank...

bigmatt said:
Love the Angels - bit of Amano inspiration?
Thanks, Matt.

Amano is a huge inspiration, of course, but not for my fish selection here. The fish were 'spare' from the TV show I recently helped out with, where I wanted instant impact crowd-pleasers.

The family love them, and I'm rather fond of them too. They have more character than the regular tetras etc. that we usually see in planted aquascapes.

Well, what can I say?

Even after showing good signs of recovery after fixing the CO2 issues etc. I returned home after a few days at work and I've never experienced such rampant staghorn algae.

As I only get to work on this tank at weekends I decided it was best to call it a day and strip it down. It's now in the garage.

Maintaining a hi-tech planted tank when you're not available daily to perform preventative or immediate corrective maintenance is too much, for me at least.

It was good while it lasted, and it's taught me some valuable lessons, so overall it's been a worthwhile experience.

I will post some nice algae photos this evening, to go along with my Nano Sanzonia algae photos! Brilliant! :lol:

Bobtastic said:
Very sorry to heard that George!! Makes me wonder if I should stop and star again with my tank, if a professional of u're caliber packs up a tank. Good luck with u're not project!
Thanks, Bob.

If you like your current aquascape then I would personally stick at it mate. Sometimes more can be learnt by addressing current issues rather than starting from scratch.

The biggest contributing factor for 'giving up' on this was me not being there enough to work on the tank and keep it to the high standard I like. Also not being there daily to spot potential issues and being able to address them before they get out of hand.

As some of you may know, I work away from home midweek so only got to work on this tank at weekends. And because family-time (I have a wife and two kids) is so precious at weekends, I cannot really justify spending so much time working on an aquarium that needs a lot of attention.

But I still have my long-term nano at home, and a new 60cm low-maint layout (a weird Iwagumi jungle). Then there's my acrylic nano in my accomodation at work. So I can't complain really - three planted tanks is enough for me.

sorry to hear this mate. I fully understand where your coming from though. One of the reasons I stopped doing display tanks. I had numerous offers but declined for these reasons.

the ones I did do, I fell lucky I think.

we all know your the master, and shall bounce back like a cheque from RBS :D

Oh NO!!! :( Sorry to hear about the tank George! such a shame as it was developing so well! However I agree with your reasons for breaking it down........

I propbably don't speak alone when I say that your the man when it comes to scaping and if you cant do it no one can! :D

George Farmer said:
Even after showing good signs of recovery after fixing the CO2 issues etc. I returned home after a few days at work and I've never experienced such rampant staghorn algae.

This a big shame, George. I think it goes to show how much maintenance we put in to our tanks day after day, even though we are not aware we are doing it. Although water changes with a little trim are all that register in my head, the constant little five minutes of faffing around here and there probably add up to quite a bit of time in total for the week.

Algae in moss is very difficult to shift IME. My GH deficient tank has moss, and is taking some serious work to get it back. I don`t think I could get close to recovering this tank if I were away five days a week, and would probably have to call it a day as you have.

Ah well, onward and upward to the next scape. :D

Dave.

Wow.
I never knew these type of angelfish looked so nice!
Now I dont know if I should get the normal one or the ones like yours! :crazy:

Back