• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi George, what do they keep their temperature at? Looks like it was cold outside!

Suprised how many they grow "dry" no suprise they is no algae on them!

Might explain why it takes these plants time to adapt submerged and the changes in leaf shape we see which is sometimes so very different from what you get in the box. Makes me think there very few truly aquatic plants which spend their whole life submerged

Hi all,
Suprised how many they grow "dry" no suprise they is no algae on them! Might explain why it takes these plants time to adapt submerged and the changes in leaf shape we see which is sometimes so very different from what you get in the box. Makes me think there very few truly aquatic plants which spend their whole life submerged
Yes, there is a discussion of this in <"Low Tech Plants">.

The "problem" is that obligate aquatic plants, like Blyxa, Ceratophyllum & Potamogeton spp., (and floaters like Limnobium and Pistia) are more expensive to produce commercially.

Which means that unless there is a demand (that will pay a financial premium for them) they tend to go out of production.

cheers Darrel

Well don't bet on that with no algae on them.. :) Most LFS are champions on doing that for you.. This is something i do not realy understand.. Many of them get a bunch of emersed form plants from the nursery and the first thing they do is put these plants submersed in the shop, under the worst conditions possible... Next to that some are even so stuppid they put the terrarium plants next to it and sell it also as aquariumplant.

Is this to avoid questions by unexperienced aquarists? Would the average aquarist not believe they buy an aquarium plant if it would be offered emersed? Lately i had to explain a friends daughter why her new plants where dying so soon. She was rather disapointed to hear how it works and said why don't they tell, so they actualy taking us for a ride?

Anyway, punning the thread "What causes BBA" you could say, you buy it in the LFS. It comes for free on the plants.. :lol:

Wishful thinking, but it would be nice to have the hobby progress to a point whereby a video like this is featured as an advert on TV ☺

Might explain why it takes these plants time to adapt submerged and the changes in leaf shape we see which is sometimes so very different from what you get in the box. Makes me think there very few truly aquatic plants which spend their whole life submerged
Hi all,Yes, there is a discussion of this in <"Low Tech Plants">.

The "problem" is that obligate aquatic plants, like Blyxa, Ceratophyllum & Potamogeton spp., (and floaters like Limnobium and Pistia) are more expensive to produce commercially.

Which means that unless there is a demand (that will pay a financial premium for them) they tend to go out of production.

cheers Darrel

I think alot of the plants we use are bog or marsh plants?

Hi all,
I think alot of the plants we use are bog or marsh plants?
They nearly all are. Some are plants, like Cryptocoryne spp., that grew in situations where you have regular wet (submerged) and dry (emersed) seasons, and others are marsh plants that will grow submerged, even though not necessarily for ever.

At the bottoms of turloughs in Ireland you find a specialized suite of plants that can survive submergence, but it includes some plants like Creeping Bent Grass (Agrostis stolonifera) and Creeping Buttercup (<"Ranunculus repens">) that you can also find in damp lawns etc.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,They nearly all are. Some are plants, like Cryptocoryne spp., that grew in situations where you have regular wet (submerged) and dry (emersed) seasons, and others are marsh plants that will grow submerged, even though not necessarily for ever.

At the bottoms of turloughs in Ireland you find a specialized suite of plants that can survive submergence, but it includes some plants like Creeping Bent Grass (Agrostis stolonifera) and Creeping Buttercup (<"Ranunculus repens">) that you can also find in damp lawns etc.

cheers Darrel
Do you think the sprinklers in these nurseries like Dennerle and Tropica aren’t just pure water for moisture @dw1305 ? I think they could be adding part of the nutrient schedule that may be more problematic to keep in solution for longer or needs more applications (e.g. Magnesium, Calcium nitrate, Fe+Micros….). Any thoughts?

Hi all,
Do you think the sprinklers in these nurseries like Dennerle and Tropica aren’t just pure water for moisture @dw1305 ?
I'd guess that the sprinkler / fogging / misting system is <"probably rain-water">, it avoids problems with salt deposition on leaves and blocked nozzles etc*.

All the commercial nurseries I've been to in the UK recently are using <"rainwater storage"> and @George Farmer mentions <"Make your aquarium a success - Tropica Aquarium Plants"> they do at 10:01.
I think they could be adding part of the nutrient schedule that may be more problematic to keep in solution for longer or needs more applications (e.g. Magnesium, Calcium nitrate, Fe+Micros….). Any thoughts?
I'd guess they use an <"ebb and flood system"> to flood the benches and supply nutrients. You can see the depth of the staging in the Mother-plant section (behind George in the still frame) and that is definitely for ebb and flow. At 2:10 you can see the flood stage.

At about 5:00 you can see the roller arrangement for the trays. Once the plants are potted, they will move through the glasshouse in the same tray, always on the rollers until they reach dispatch. The only direct handling is immediately after propagation and immediately before dispatch.

*edit - Having watched the video I think that they try and keep the foliage dry for 90% of the plants they grow.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
. . . . I can't remember where I read it, but they apparently also maintain higher levels of CO2 in their greenhouse than standard atmospheric levels.

Hi all,
I can't remember where I read it, but they apparently also maintain higher levels of CO2 in their greenhouse than standard atmospheric levels.
It would make sense. <"Tomato growers"> aim for 1000 ppm CO2 when the sun is out. It is analogous to terrestrial "Estimative Index", plenty of everything.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
. . . . I can't remember where I read it, but they apparently also maintain higher levels of CO2 in their greenhouse than standard atmospheric levels.
Reminds me my days when growing cannabis in my cloth cabinet during my student years and concocting some yeast and sugar vessels to increase CO2. A shame I didn't take pictures. I was an outlaw.

Back