• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Galaxy paradise 2021 [ADA 120P]

Paulus

After a couple of years it was time to get a new tank :cool: (old tank is still running for now).
So what upgrade did i make?

Setup
  • Tank: ADA 120P
  • Cabinet: Custom made one in the style of ADA
  • Light: Chihiros Wrgb 2 120
  • Filter: Eheim 4+ 600 (2275) + Eheim classic 2217 (from the previous setup)
  • CO2: 10kg cylinder + Aqua Medic CO2 reactor 1000 (from the previous setup)
  • Dosing pump: GHL Dosing Unit 4 (from the previous setup)

More info, photos etc will follow.

Sneak preview:
ada120p.jpeg

Cabinet
Same like my previous DIY "ADA" cabinet I made one for the 120P.
First plan was making a 3D model so I knew I got the dimensions etc. correct and get a visual idea on the screen.
Small thing I changed this time was the front panel. This one is now aligned and in front of the top panel. This way it was easier to get rid of the seam :)

Once the dimensions were correct I made a printable version so I could take it to the DIY store to cut all the pieces.
The print:
ADA_120-P_PlanV2.jpg

All the parts collected:
IMG_20210508_132544.jpg

Time to put it all together and hide the screws etc. to get a nice and smooth finish:
IMG_20210522_172912.jpg

First base layer of paint. Later all the inside was also sealed around the seams:
IMG_20210524_164106.jpg

Final paint for the outside:
IMG_20210526_115953(1).jpg IMG_20210606_122106.jpg

All in place:
IMG_20210904_164130.jpg

(moving the old tank from that spot was great fun for the back. Same with moving the 120P :p)

Amazing job with the cabinet. Do you have any concerns regarding how the MDF will hold up over time and if it gets in contact with water?

Amazing job with the cabinet. Do you have any concerns regarding how the MDF will hold up over time and if it gets in contact with water?
thanks.
No concerns here regarding the MDF. I've made a similar one back in 2009 for my other/old tank (100x50x50cm).
Its moved from house etc, positions, and moving to make place for this new 120P.
Never had issues with it. Made sure all parts are covered with the paint layers and inside the cabinet all corners etc are covered with silicone sealant.
Still today when i need to clean the cabinet (to make some photos for sale :p) it was the same as back in 2009. just a simple wipe with a cloth and the dust was gone. :)

Some old photo's of the old cabinet (with some dutch text) DIY ADA stand (deel 1)

Great job with the cabinet! I am thinking or doing the same to replace the cabinet my Aquascapers 900 came with as it’s ridiculously wobbly.

Cabinet
Same like my previous DIY "ADA" cabinet I made one for the 120P.
First plan was making a 3D model so I knew I got the dimensions etc. correct and get a visual idea on the screen.
Small thing I changed this time was the front panel. This one is now aligned and in front of the top panel. This way it was easier to get rid of the seam :)

Once the dimensions were correct I made a printable version so I could take it to the DIY store to cut all the pieces.
The print:
View attachment 175547

All the parts collected:
View attachment 175548

Time to put it all together and hide the screws etc. to get a nice and smooth finish:
View attachment 175549

First base layer of paint. Later all the inside was also sealed around the seams:
View attachment 175550

Final paint for the outside:
View attachment 175551View attachment 175552

All in place:
View attachment 175553

(moving the old tank from that spot was great fun for the back. Same with moving the 120P :p)
Awesome work 💪 Well done! Love the paint colour 😍

Hardscape
First used some bags filled with lava rocks for the back to get some height for the soil buildup.
Also used a cheap (1 euro) pipe insulation to put on the front glass. Just to make sure i won't hit it with some rocks etc :p

IMG_20210922_131721.jpg
IMG_20210922_131736.jpg

After that i put in the rest with the rocks, wood and soil.

IMG_20210922_195850.jpg
IMG_20210922_195913.jpg
IMG_20210922_195939.jpg

Planning to use lots of plants this scape.

Filling the tank up with water so it could run for 2 weeks without the lights on etc but with the filter running.
(Ended up taking 3 weeks. In the meantime ordered the plants.)
IMG_20210927_165731.jpg

Great looking cabinet, the paint finish looks very good, did you spray it?

Nice idea on the pipe insulation too, I'll have to remember that one!

I appreciate your post: I'm moving from 100cm with a bought cabinet to 120cm and DIY cabinet, and was concerned about the weight/sturdiness

Looks like a great start! I see a platypus on his back in it, so if you were in need of a name... ;) 4 legs in the air, his beak on the right and a rocky flat tail left.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the stand cost in terms of materials? I'm currently working out a budget target to save monthly in order to purchase an Ada 120p with a DIY or custom built stand in future.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the stand cost in terms of materials? I'm currently working out a budget target to save monthly in order to purchase an Ada 120p with a DIY or custom built stand in future.
i dont know the exact price but must be something like:
  • 2 sheets of MDF around 60 euro
  • some screws 5 or 6 euro
  • i already had the paint & woodglue etc in house so no need to buy a new can of paint
So maybe to build it new would be around 100 euro all combined.

Hey @Paulus , how's this tank doing? :)
Bit up and down with the plants and algae.
(my older tanks did it better regarding plant grow etc....)

Also the rotalas........... Got the h'ra and rotala rotundifolia etc from my old tank.
In that setup they turned beautiful orang/purple and the h'ra bright red.
Cheap LED light above etc.

Now running tank with better hardware and soil etc instead of plain sand. But the rotalas stay green.........
Tried more/brighter light, lean dosing fertz, back to EI dosing, Masterline I & II now. But still, no colour in the rotalas.......
CO2 dropchecker is green/lime green during the light period etc.
So why they won't get any colour....... I am out of options. WRGB2 should work for red plants etc.

Only red plant now is the lotus :rolleyes:
Some older photos from march after a trimming session:
20220328_201024.jpg

20220422_201626.jpg

20220509_201826.jpg

And here you can see the "red" h'ra in the right corner and left of it the rotala rotundifolia...... :mad::banghead:
20220324_124031.jpg

Back