• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

fx5 outlets- new question added

Alastair

Im just wondering whats best with regards to these. I have a 5ft bowfront tank, and currently run both my fx5s via 25mm spraybars alonf the entire back. However, for 1 i dont find them asthetically pleasing, 2 my fish avoid swimming along the front due to the flow of water pushing down, and lastly, the first few holes along the bars, the flow of water on both comes out diagonal towards the centre of the tank making flow around the sides not great.
What i was possibly thinking of doing, was to try both the twin outlets that come with the fx5s to see if this may help at all and also not be as harsh on the fish. what do people think would be the best placement of these outlets in the tank? both in the opposite back corners or centred pointedtowards the front slightly??

Re: fx5 outlets

I would probably go for one outlet in each back corner so that the flow meets in the middle and then goes off the front glass and round the back again

Ha ha yeah I can understand that i used to have a gourami which used to get side swept by the current and blown all over the place and that was with just the standard juwel filter lol! You could always point one of the outlets straight at the glass to try and calm the current a bit maybe

i wouldn't of thought you would have algae problems with those two monsters. I was considering putting one on my 125l but I think it might turn it into a whirlpool!

A change in flow pattern can cause algae if it's not sufficient. I'll be getting my hands wet tomorrow now anyway to give it a try.
Another member on here has just got an fx5 for his 125 litre. The outflow is adjustable. And you can pick a second hand one up for between 60 and 80. I think there awesome filters for the money

Yeah they look pretty awesome and I like that they have the outlet to pump water out when doing a water change.

Matty1983 said:
i wouldn't of thought you would have algae problems with those two monsters. I was considering putting one on my 125l but I think it might turn it into a whirlpool!

I've just got one for my 125 mate and its not as bad as i thought it was going to be, i have it on full flow and its fine.

I'll be interested to see what happens with your change Alistair. I'm finding the flow from the 405's spray bar very powerful and I'm not sure that the fish are feeling it. The shrimp I had in were getting blown all over the shop... Possibly why they didn't survive...

Bobtastic said:
I'll be interested to see what happens with your change Alistair. I'm finding the flow from the 405's spray bar very powerful and I'm not sure that the fish are feeling it. The shrimp I had in were getting blown all over the shop... Possibly why they didn't survive...

Ahhh funny you should say that bob, as I've not had any luck with two batches of shrimp for some reason. I know my cardinals took a liking but when they were in they held onto my wood for dear life.

And westy, full flow in your tank? The outlets must really soften the flow then

Alastair said:
Bobtastic said:

Ahhh funny you should say that bob, as I've not had any luck with two batches of shrimp for some reason. I know my cardinals took a liking but when they were in they held onto my wood for dear life.

And westy, full flow in your tank? The outlets must really soften the flow then

Yeh either that or my FX5 is nackard mate haha, but i can see why it would be higher flow with a spray bar because the holes are alot smaller than the fx5 outlets. My Shrimp and fish are fine.

Ive never tried the outlets so yours is probably fine. Do you have them set in an almost 90 degree position as ive read that if there not they can actually restrict flow Well I'm going to have a fiddle about with switching to my outlets then and see if they soften my flow a wee bit more lol..

Bobtastic said:
Well I've switched to the outlets today, and the flow is so much more gentle. I was worried with my tank being pretty deep but every plant has a nice gentle sway and my fish are shoaling all over now :0). I pulled my diffusers from under the intakes just so I could make sure the co2 would reach every where and it does so fingers crossed all goes well.

I'm sure you could buy an outlet cheap or Like you say make a Lilly pipe. They dont make them for my size filters he he. Placement wise I've got one either rear corner, on each outlet part of it points to the very edge of the tank and the other sort of diagonally towards the centre. It doesnt look like there's much conflict flow wise, but what I also did is put the intakes on opposite sides to each outlet, left filters outlet on right side of tank etc. Plus I run co2 straight into the intakes so should be fairly even distribution. I can see my pearling now with out having to switch off my filters too

I'm just wondering having seen how people use two filters with Lilly flows on them, i.e front left corner and One back right corner creating circular flow, would this work the same if i placed the fx5s outlets the same but adjusting the twin outlets on each so they don't flare out?? I know I have a big tank but I have big flow too. What do people think. I can't buy Lilly pipes for the fx5 unless I down size the tubing but then I'd sacrifice flow which I don't want.

I'm sure i saw somewhere online that make lily pipes for non standard size tubing I'll see if I can find it for you.

Back