• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fungus on Anubias? They are dying..

luca6901

Hello there!
I set up a nano tanks with epiphyte plants only, It's been now 3-4 weeks and some of my Anubias Barteri var. Barteri as well as Anubias var. Nana just died.
The rhizome melted and I can see something very weird on it, something like a fungus. Here's the closest shot I can have of it :

I removed those "infected" plants and now I can see it happening again on Anubias that where fine previously!
Maybe my LFS got a bad batch? Maybe I used bad super glue? Or it's the fact that I put a very little glue on the rhizome?
If It's fungus, how can I get rid of it? Should I change 100% of the water and boil again my wood?
I ordered new plants from a reputable website so I'm sure, but I don't want them to be infected.

Thanks for any help!

The leafs look quite healthy try putting your new plants into crevices and gaps no glue. Possibly the fungus is off the wood? Some fast growing stem plants and some daily water changes.

The leafs look quite healthy try putting your new plants into crevices and gaps no glue. Possibly the fungus is off the wood? Some fast growing stem plants and some daily water changes.
So It's no fungus? I don't have to worry about it when I put new plants?
I think the one in the picture is going to die soon, like last time. I don't have many "gaps" available in the wood so I need to glue them, but I'll be carefull not putting glue on the rhizome this time...

Is it safe to put solvant on the wood for dissolving the remaining glue?

Super glue is pretty safe to use. Anubias are slow growers so adding some fast growers will help cycle the aquarium. 3or 4weeks is quite early. Fungus on wood is quite common and usually disappears in time.

Missed your question. Scrape any glue off rather than solvents is best. You could gently tie the roots . My guess is the fungus is off the wood so could scrape it off at water changes and later put your anubias in.

Super glue is pretty safe to use. Anubias are slow growers so adding some fast growers will help cycle the aquarium. 3or 4weeks is quite early. Fungus on wood is quite common and usually disappears in time.
Missed your question. Scrape any glue off rather than solvents is best. You could gently tie the roots . My guess is the fungus is off the wood so could scrape it off at water changes and later put your anubias in.
Ok so It come from the wood. So no worries. I'll boil the wood again just in case, and try to scrape the glue on it.
I'll ordered some moss ball and Lilaeopsis brasiliensis to help, but might need some more.
I hope my anubias will be fine, because that thing is clearly killing them slowly..

Fungi may well be only secondary infection, the true culprit being bacterial or nematodes.
Anubias Disease!
Yeah I’ve just read a bunch of post about Anubias rot disease. I hope it will not infect new plants.
I plan to do 100% water change and boil the wood again before adding new plants.
But maybe old plants that look fine are infected too?

But maybe old plants that look fine are infected too?
Who knows? I can only tell that I've faced Anubias sickness about fifteen years ago, tried my best to stop it, and failed. All Anubiases died. So, I take it seriously.
I'm rather lucky because I don't like them much and can live without them.

With Maq information post7, I wouldn't spend too much and keep any that look ok for now to rule out disease. If they recover then increase your anubias

It has just recently happened in my tank at about 5 weeks lost about 12 plants to anubias rot. I put it down to my tank not been cycled enough for them.

Back