• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Full clean out?

Reidy

Hi as a few of you may/may not know I'm a marine fish keeper ATM who is moving into planted ( my fish are for sale currently) as soon as I've sold my stock etc will b getting ready for the change.

Obviously will need an epic clean out of my filter and tank etc because of the salt, does anybody have any suggestions in products I could use that wouldn't be harmful to the fish I would put in after, or is it better to stick with just water and lots if hard work?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, OK, well then use any strong acid to dissolve the Calcium deposits. Vinegar is too weak and that's why it could be hard work. Use pool acid to dissolve it faster, but put on goggles and gloves. Don't hurt yourself! Ph Down is Phosphoric acid so that will work too but it's expensive on a per liter basis.

Cheers,

If its on the glass just use a stanley knife blade and scrape it off. Any corraline algae on filters heaters etc just use white vinegar and let it soak it will come off easy. Just the same as what I have just done with mine!

hi i believe reidys tank is acrylic would acid be ok for this

Hi,
Sorry, I didn't realize it's acrylic. He specifically used he word "glass" in post #4.
One has to be a LOT more careful because there is an effect depending on the strength used. For pool acid (Muriatic acid), you'd want to use no more than about a 30% solution. For acetic acid (vinegar) I think the limit is around 40%. "Ph Down" might actually be Nitric acid, depending on who makes it, so a 30%-50% limit might apply.

You can initiate crazing, cracking or material swelling, again, depending on the formulation of the material.

Cheers,

I just used Kilrock descaler (formic acid) to descale my tank and still use it to descale the T8 tubes & reflectors. Do it outside, as it wiffs, and rinse well afterwards. Works well and is cheap.

Back