• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

iPlantTanks

Most of my plants came today so could help starting this journal. I'm converting my bare bottom fry tank into a mini aquascape, and for a change I've gone for a stream/river look. I've ordered some lovely looking sumatran driftwood that look like fallen branches and roots. A mixture of java and weeping moss to cover them in, and some riccia to make a little carpet at the one end of the tank. And some sagittaria subulata to give some depth and height. The substrate is cat litter, wanted to use this as I think it looks great, easy to work with and plants seem to love it. Then I'll be adding some smooth stones like what you'd find in a river or stream.
It's currently being run on 20W of LED GU10's which may be reduced later if it's too much as well as being injected with pressurized CO2 and liquid ferts.
Any for people who like me, just look at the pictures LOL, here they are:
8361442742_adde055c61_k.jpg

The tub is holding my mosses until the wood comes, and the riccia will probably be moved later too, this is just temporary to get an idea.

8361483292_9b285e27d4_b.jpg

Here's the two pieces of wood I'll be using, sorry for bad image quality had to enlarge thumbnails of eBay

I'm also gonna be swapping the filter for an allpondsolutions 500 hang on filter so its less obtrusive and creates more flow, I may also add some vallis but we'll see
hbl-601_open.png

hi, look forward to seeing it develop. So you know, if you type in another format then copy paste to the forum you need to click the little white eraser in the top left corner of the text box or it will all come out in black text which doesnt show for members using the dark theme. ;)

Iain, just tried that 'Dark' setting. Its absolutely class.

I'm looking forward to this, as I like 'stream' or 'Tributaries' (iain ;) ) where you try and replicate a natural environment.
Search 'Catappa Leaves' on eBay, this will add to the 'River' / 'Stream' look.

If your interested, why not study what plants occur naturally in Sumatra, and create a 'Sumatran Biotope', this is definitely up my street, and I will be attempting one in the future.

Good luck with whatever you choose, I'll be watching :)

hi, look forward to seeing it develop. So you know, if you type in another format then copy paste to the forum you need to click the little white eraser in the top left corner of the text box or it will all come out in black text which doesnt show for members using the dark theme. ;)
Sorry about that, is it fixed now mate? Yeah I copied it from another forum that I do my journals on. Thanks

Iain, just tried that 'Dark' setting. Its absolutely class.

I'm looking forward to this, as I like 'stream' or 'Tributaries' (iain ;) ) where you try and replicate a natural environment.
Search 'Catappa Leaves' on eBay, this will add to the 'River' / 'Stream' look.

If your interested, why not study what plants occur naturally in Sumatra, and create a 'Sumatran Biotope', this is definitely up my street, and I will be attempting one in the future.

Good luck with whatever you choose, I'll be watching :)
Originally I was going to do an asian stream biotope with a new 2ft tank but had to keep the cash so I thought I'd develop my fry tank. So as its normally full of guppies and platys its hard to do a specific biotope but I might have a lil research into a Sumatran one ;) I need some sort of direction. Thanks mate

Just looked them up and platy's and guppies are from the other side of the world :( to sumatra

Really changed things up now, the project has moved into a nice new 70L 2ft tank. I'm not really happy with the layout or planting yet but been kind of rushed so I threw it together. Its not so much of a biotope but I'm still going for a river/stream look. The eyesore filters are only temporary as my hang-on was broken when delivered :(
The livestock composes of:
6x Harlequin Rasboras
8 x Red Cherry Shrimp
2 x Glass shrimp
2 x Platys (I want to move these eventually)

8374031987_26bf5f31a8_k.jpg

Bonus points for fish formation on photography ;) just needs more plants in there, on the right path ;)
Yeah they love posing LOL and yeah just can't decide what to put in there. The stuff at the back is supposed to be Sagittaria Subulata but it is rather long and won't sink, I've even put a plant weight on them and they still float mid-way so I'll probably sell them on. I'll also be attaching mosses to the wood that runs horizontally but I'm out of fishing line at the moment so go to wait. Also I'm hoping the Riccia will carpet nicely over time, any suggestions?
Thanks

Back