• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Frost resistance of glass tanks

Thumper

Hi guys,

i do have several tanks in my garden on a rack which i want to keep there over the cold month - mainly because the fish need it.
Does anyone have experience with glass tanks (40x25x25cm³) and frost? I currently have an airpump-filter installed in each tank to get a bit surface agitation and filtration.

When I used to breed Newts, Triturus alpestris which were fully aquatic, I kept them outside in glass tanks which did indeed freeze on all sides occasionally. The newts didn't mind and neither did the tanks show any ill effects. HTH

I'd say it depends how cold it gets tbh. I know parts of Germany can get very cold and if the air temperature is below zero then pumping cold air into the tanks might cool them to much (a bit like why some of us turn our pond pumps off over the winter. If you dont have a high stocking it might be better to turn the pump off and let the fish slow down and semi hibernate.
If you could provide some cover for the tanks to keep the temperatures higher then you could keep the pumps running. Wrapping them with bubble wrap or polystyrene around the sides and bottom, with some surface cover could work well.

Tanks freezing can make them more likely to fail in the future as it puts pressure on the silicon as the ice expands.

Back