• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

From south Essex.. greetings

russell

Hello,

have been keeping fish for 2.5 years now in a 130 litre tank I was given. Put in live plants after 6 months with limited budget and success. Due to small home and growing kids my infra structure just wont support a tank of that size any more so I'm moving the Aquarium on and downsizing.

My new aquarium arrived last week (Fluval Spec 19 litre) and I'll be setting up a low tech (probably) nano system as a home for a Betta. I'm in no hurry to do this and it will all kick off once I've found the right hardscaping materials. At the moment I'm thinking wood, probably Redmoor Root or similar, though I wouldn't rule out rock if I can find the right stuff. I need to provide shelter for the Betta without cutting out the light for the plants.

So I'm here to glean as much info as I can (especially regarding good nano plants for lowish lighting) whilst I root out my perfect root.

Hi.

russell

Thanks for the link, that looks great, nice ideas on the plants too.
Yes, they're nice looking and well equipped, as you say,only a small heater required. I'm very please with it but determined not to charge in until I have the right bits. It may be a few months before it's ready to go.

Kyle Lambert

Are they open topped or are they like the edge with a glass ceiling? my only concern would be with a betta being a labyrinth fish that it may not survive.

russell

they have a plastic lid provided, but it's not a complete cover as it has a channel down the centre. I'm aware of the Bettas requirement to breath so wouldn't completely full the aquarium any way, I'd leave a little space as well.

Kyle Lambert

sounds good to me then!

how far south into essex are you? i saw some good redmoor at Fintasia in Braintree the other day and a rather ncie white/blue betta.

russell

I'm in Southend, so not a million miles away but not next door either. Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get over there. My son wants me to get a red one, but White/Blue sounds nice :) Would certainly be interested in seeing their redmoor selection.

Kyle Lambert

well i did pick out 2 of the nicer pieces for myself so the quality may be lower now haha. Its a good shop to look around though. ground floor is livestock and accessories, 1st floor is aquariums, cabinets and reptiles.

They had a reasonable selection of plants last time i went too.

Its definitely worth looking around and i rate them above swallow aquatics (the raleigh store is ok but the one near colchester has gone down hill).

russell

:) did you leave done good stuff though? Is a small tank so I don't want anything longer than a foot or so..
was in Rayleigh Swallow on Saturday, good for fish but disappointing for wood, just big chunks of bogwood as far as I could see.

Kyle Lambert

i left some laying about, there was also a good lot of bogwood too.

unfortunately alot of the shops around here are really disappointing for wood and stone/rock. Happen to know anywhere nearby thats good for stone that may be suitable for an Iwagumi set up? shop or outdoors?

russell

Also visited Creation in Wickford who had an good selection of redmoor but most of it too long.

russell

swallow had a lot of rock of a number of types, but I didn't look that closely as it wasn't what I was looking for so can't say if it would suit your needs I'm afraid.

russell

thank you, I've not tried maidenhead but that's very doable from here so I'll take a look. By Southend shop do you mean fishey business? If so I'll be popping in they're one lunch time this week. They've usually got a few Bettas in so will be interested to take a look, I'm a while away from needing a fish just yet though as I want the aquarium fully set up& cycled before he arrives..

russell

Hi Naughtymoose, made mistake of looking in Fishey Business today, primarily for root - of which they had none that I could see - but had to have a peek at their Betta collection. Oh dear, shouldn't have. They had a lovely Crown tail, Black head Blue Body Red fins, in excellent condition. Thought about putting him in my community tank for a couple of months but decided that would be unfair. Have to hope I can find something that nice once my aquarium is ready.

Lindy

There is a good seller on ebay fir redmoor root. Gre004 is very good value for money. Sometimes you have to cut bits off to get the right fit though. I get all my wood from him. Lauris's tank is stunning bur personally i wouldn't use alot of stone that will harden your water as betta splendens like soft, acidic water.