• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

From Cradle to...

goldscapes

Here goes my first aquascaping journal. Right now it is little more than a twinkle in my eye - I have ordered a second hand copy of Takashi Amano’s “Nature Aquarium: Complete Works 1985-2009” to whet my appetite and I’ll keep this thread updated with my progress.
Loads of ideas and no clue, how hard can it be... right? :)

While waiting for the book to arrive and after reading loads of posts about lighting I eventually found The Green Machine based in North Wales but soon to close down - boo! I picked up a digital copy of their Aquascaping guide, a bargain at £12.99 and headed to their online clearance sale there’s plenty of amazing looking stuff left, most of it way over my head, but I snapped up a 30L ADA Cube tank, which seemed appropriate (ADA, I discovered, is Takashi Amano’s company) and extremely good value at under £50. I added a couple of extras like a lid, mat, tools and a “Nature Aquarium in a Box” starter pack suitable for my shiny new tank that includes hardscape and flora.
Next stop a closer look at George Farmer’s “Substrate” article. Plus lighting and a filter - any suggestions, advice or links to articles gratefully received!

Last edited:
I should add that I knew I was looking for a small but not tiny cube tank and the 30cm footprint was a good fit for the space I have available. The “Nature Aquarium in a Box” seemed like good value at £25 (50% off) and even though I have lost some creative freedom the plants are chosen to be good for a beginner tank, which can’t be a bad idea!

Good luck, Tank will be top quality. Have a think about how you will filter and heat the tank.

One of the issues with small tanks is hiding any internal filters or heaters. IMO these are quite distracting from an aqua scape. Check our “Red Rock” aquascape in the TGM book. No room for heater in there.

Previously I had a 30cm cube with an Ehime Classic (flow dialed down) + an external heater.

Here’s a shot with equipment in situ:

58e7fbd635ac4a776803c85f16bf100f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks TBRO, I agree about using an external filter I do want to stock the tank eventually so space is at a premium.

Basic question, how do you dial down the flow on an external filter?

Yes, most small external filters have flow rates around 300 Lph. Ehime make taps that can go on the outlet/inlet tubes that you can reduce flow with. Think I’ve also seen Hydor make a similar product.

Don’t get me wrong, flow is a good thing! Have the taps as open as the tank will tolerate!

Will you use CO2 ?

Will you use CO2 ?

Probably not for the first tank, depends on whether I feel I need to use a plant that requires it or whether I can start with less tech - I’d rather keep it simple if I can.

I would look at a hang on bank filter if you are wanting to put a background on the tank you won't see it anyway. Also for lighting I've just got myself a flexi mini and must say I'm very impressed indeed. I can post a picture of it on the tank tomorrow if your interested.
fdebb63b1617e67920d48c739dfa524d.jpg
6913eb2982bba17f7fb7b64be5f7388f.jpg

So, quick update. After a lot of looking around I be decided to stick with ADA for the lighting and go for a 301 - at half price these seem like great value for a top quality product, I’m slightly concerned it will be too bright so thinking about adding some surface plants to mitigate this.

The conundrum of finding a suitable heater and filter combo that won’t break the bank, Require lots of space in the tank or hidden in a customised cabinet has me stumped and as a result I am pretty sure a temperate tank is my best bet so I can forgo the heater and use a compact filter like the Dennerle one, “Scapers Flow” - ideally I’d like one or two different filters to choose from though - any other suggestions gratefully received.

Fish stock decision is probably my next stop so off to a couple of local shops tomorrow with the fam.

Back