• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Frogbit mechanical damage?

jameson_uk

I have a fair amount (too much) frogbit in my tank.
54c1c9471daa10e516e06aa2eb9534a8.jpg

Which gets fairly bunched up
f1318f1440a0b64051b05c3289827a41.jpg

On the whole the plants look reasonably healthy and there is plenty of new growth but there are a lot of lower leaves which appear to be dying off / rotting.

I don't think this is nutrients as it always the lower leaves and I don't think it is just older leaves. I am guessing it is where the leaves are pushed under by new growth or neighbouring plants.

Does this look likely or could it actually be nutrients?

f3190e6416fd68289d5235f9c0bc37db.jpg

f8aa34bad20cd806e85b3f0a0aae32e5.jpg

a00a708a83202fa276461eb09c667057.jpg

It could be nutrients :) but it aint realy alarming most vigorous growing floater do that. I have the excact same whit Hygroriza aristata . Older growth pushed down deprived from light and get depleted by the younger growth sucking up all mobile nutrients from the older leaves. Best thing against it is constant maintenance.. About all floaters are extrem light and fert hungry, you need a bucket load of both to keep it in 100% health.. Indoor i believe it is about impossible to level both requirmnets out to the max. :)

Hi all,
I don't think this is nutrients as it always the lower leaves and I don't think it is just older leaves. I am guessing it is where the leaves are pushed under by new growth or neighbouring plants.

Does this look likely or could it actually be nutrients?
I agree with you and Marcel ((@zozo). It might be the deficiency of a mobile element (most likely to be nitrogen (N) or potassium (K), followed by phosphorus (P) and magnesium (Mg)), but the plants generally look pretty healthy and is most likely to be lack of light.

Even with low nutrients I thin the Frogbit out every couple of weeks.

cheers Darrel

I do seem to spend an hour every week or so just removing these leaves and throwing out some unhealthy looking plants. I also take the lot out every six to eight weeks and give it a good clean and only put back plants which are totally healthy. Looking at the picture above though I think I may need to remove a few more next time...

Is it worth bothering with individual leaves or do others just chuck the whole plant if for any of the leaves look unhealthy?

Hi all,
Is it worth bothering with individual leaves or do others just chuck the whole plant if for any of the leaves look unhealthy?
I usually pinch the old leaves off, but if I'm in a hurry I just sort out the healthiest plants.

I get quite a lot of requests for Frogbit, via various forums, so I usually like to have some spare somewhere.

cheers Darrel

They look too dense to me, overlapping each other and that'll cause damage because some leaves get submerged, even without taking into account any other possible factors. Does the flow blow them into one side perhaps? I never got frogbit going but when I had salvinia for a period of time, if I left it bunched up like that I'd get yellowing and damage.

Back