• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fresh Start 225L

andyone

Hi all

Well after 7 years the old set up had passed its best and I was sick of looking at it so after collecting all the bits since Xmas but having no time until now I made a start last weekend and planted her up today.

Set up is as follows;

Opti white 100 x 45 x 50
3 bags of ADA Amazon coarse and 1 bag of fine
Eheim Pro 3 Thermo set at 24.6c
In tank Circulation pump
Air pump for night operation
CO2 set up and shut off valve in tank diffuser
Arcadia 4 tube T5 luminaire

Ferts; Neutro liquid carbon, Neutro T

Now its being 7 years since I started the last one so I'm a bit rusty when it comes to "running in" the set up but here is the plan please feel free to comment.

Old filter material was washed in old tank water and reused (whole filter packed with Ehiem sintered glass rings)
Water changes everyday at 50% for first 2 weeks (Tap water is here is very soft and sl acidic and low phosphate) Then 50% weekly.
Set CO2 going tomorrow and dose daily with liquid CO2 at 10mls/day and fert at 15ml/day
Test for Ammonia in two weeks and add fish/shrimps (in temp tank) if zero ammonia..
Photo period 2 tubes on 7 hours boosted mid period with other 2 tubes for 4 hours

Am I missing anything?

Anyway here's a few pics;

DSC04402_zpsndjr4eqs.jpg
DSC04409_zpstnwyg10a.jpg
DSC04414_zpsf6zeycak.jpg

With Plants from Aqa Essentials great service and quality first time I've used them:)

DSC04412_zpsmkpioaqc.jpg
DSC04411_zpsr4er8ixx.jpg

Looks a bit scratty but the plants (cuba) are already pearling. Will be nice to see how this develops.

Last edited:
Hi all

Everything seems to be growing at week three apart from the 3 portions of 1-2 grow willow moss which has simply dissolved:( any ideas as to why? The single pot of "normal willow moss" is growing really well.

Question, given the ADA Amazoina substrate would you dose with Ferts now at 50% or 100% or wait until the ammonia has hit zero and nitrate dropped. I'm just adding liquid and gas CO2 and light for 6 hours/day. No apparent pearling. Ph 6.5, temp 24.7c.At present I'm holding off on the ferts as I've had conflicting advice ranging from;

1) No ferts for 3 weeks then 50% for next 3 weeks and increase then to 100%, 50% water changes every other day for 3 weeks then once a week and increase light to 8 hours using all 4 tubes for a 2 hour mid-day peak or;

2) 100% ferts from day one with 30%water changes every day week one, 30% every other day week two, 30% every third day week three etc up to 30% every week, light 6 hours for 8 weeks then increase to 8 hours with mid day peak.

I see the value of the 30% water change regime of option two and have been undertaking these.

I'll pop some pics up soon.

Cheers

Yep washed all the gel off and treated it no different to the "normal" portion.

Up date time. Now 5 weeks in. Replaced the mosses and upped the Ferts, CO2 and light duration/intensity to six hours with a full blast for 3 hours. keeping up the water changes at 30% every 4th day. Think its coming on the only plant that's struggling ids the Cuba for some strange reason have grew it well in the past, seem s to be a bit leggy and breaking off at the base. Suggestion anyone?

Few pics;
DSC04421_zpsah2shi85.jpg
DSC04415_zpsn9idltpk.jpg
DSC04416_zpsofxze6t7.jpg
DSC04419_zps54nehzna.jpg
DSC04418_zps6hl5fc8b.jpg
DSC04417_zpsmmftp0dl.jpg

New toy should have got one of these years ago! Got a spare intent to mix my own ferts, Macro, Trace and liquid C02.
DSC04420_zpskmsdwjfm.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Up date time. Now 5 weeks in. Replaced the mosses and upped the Ferts, CO2 and light duration/intensity to six hours with a full blast for 3 hours. keeping up the water changes at 30% every 4th day. Think its coming on the only plant that's struggling ids the Cuba for some strange reason have grew it well in the past, seem s to be a bit leggy and breaking off at the base. Suggestion anyone?

Few pics;
View attachment 2978
View attachment 2979
View attachment 2980
View attachment 3928
View attachment 3929
View attachment 3930

New toy should have got one of these years ago! Got a spare intent to mix my own ferts, Macro, Trace and liquid C02.
View attachment 3931

Thanks for looking.

Looking great so far! Leggy growth is normally associated with lower light levels, but your 4 T5's should be plenty. Maybe increase photoperiod a little to 8-9 hours?

Back