• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Freebie tank - any tips on how best to clean?

Rozza

Hi all,

A friend heard I was getting into aquascaping and gave me his old aquarium a 110l jewel tank. He mentioned it could be a nursery tank, so wasn't expecting such a large tank and cabinet - so huge bonus!
I've tried to give it a quick clean but some of the algae is super stubborn - its resisting the kitchen sponge scourer. I don't want to scratch the glass, my friend suggested it was already scratched - but with that much stubborn algae its hard to tell.

freeTankIsA.jpg mankyTank.jpg

Has anyone had any tips on how best to scrub up the tank?

I plan on getting a new pump / filter - as the one that was in is super manky and I can hide an external filter in the cabinet. I also plan on removing the remains of the background rock effect tile - the old back of the tank glass looks pretty pristine.

A razor blade based algae scraper will probably be most effective, they will not damage the glass as long as you make sure not to get any sand on the blade or use a damaged blade. I only use this to clean my tank glass

You only really scratch the glass if you try to clean it dry or with a blunt object. I use razor blades for the that type of algae but a old credit card can also work. I just spray some vinegar on the area to get rid of limescale and let it soak for a while or do as the guys above have suggested.

I done a first pass and there are some large enough scratches to catch the blade. That said the old back of the tank is in good shape and algae / scratch free.

I done a first pass and there are some large enough scratches to catch the blade. That said the old back of the tank is in good shape and algae / scratch free.
Is the top rim/frame glued to the glass or can it be removed? It is likely attached to the glass to provide structural integrity to the tank. But if not, just turn the frame around so that you have a scratch free glass in front :)

To clean it, and as others suggested, first remove the limestone with vinegar, lemon juice, or using a product to clean bathrooms. Then try to remove the limestone salts from the glass since they can scratch the glass. Then spray the glass with water and use a sharp glass cleaner blade - keep the glass wet in the process. In the places where the glass is scratched try moving the blade perpendicular to the scratch. And be very careful with the blade near the silicone seams! Clean the seams and the area around it with a tootbrush or something soft.

Last edited:
When I acquired a dirty tank with attached dried on algae, I left it soaking in bleach (outside) and after a day or two the algae just wiped off.

Also used kitchen descaler to remove limescale and "silicone eater" to remove the blobs of black silicone that attached the filter to the inside of the tank. Keep silicone eater away from the seams. Used some black aquarium silicone to reattach the filter. Tank still fine 15 years later (ok filter has detached from the silicone and year or two ago, but works fine).

After a quick hoover and wipe down yesterday. The tank is now very cold as it was out overnight. But it seems like bleach and window cleaner are my friends :)

Thanks all, I need a couple of spare parts but the tank should be up and running in the near future :)

Back