• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Freds new pond build

Status
Not open for further replies.
while lockdown has been on going been busy ripping 1 1\2 inch pipework out and installing new 2 inch pipe work and new bakki shower
also new 30000lph ea virio flow pump. with these pumps you can control speed of flow by a controller . you can save on the bills as well
it shows wattage use and flow on the screen.
upload_2020-5-8_7-2-0.png

here is the controller for vario pump. showing 11.1 watts
also new 2 inch pipe work and two new 2 inch ball valves
upload_2020-5-8_7-8-37.png

2 inch pipework going around the wall
upload_2020-5-8_7-12-30.png

more to follow
fred

this bit here was a nightmare to do. had to knock a brick out the wall
used a rubber boot straight coupler of my uv it was a lot easier
upload_2020-5-8_7-16-31.png

and out the other side of filter house heading for
my top pond and new shower
upload_2020-5-8_7-20-53.png

joined to shower with a rubber boot 90 swept bend.
used a rubber boot rather the solvent weld in case I want to
remove the shower or clean out.
upload_2020-5-8_7-24-23.png

fred

Lol loving the bread basket planting shelves. Will double as hides for fry etc

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Hi gill. When I get around to it .
I will be taking them bread baskets out. And rearranging the top pond plants.
To all sit on the bottom lol.
Fred

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My fish where flashing this week. 2 or 3 of them. I thought at first it was tempreture swings.
So did the routine stuff. Water parameter testing of water. All ok. But found my kh
At tap sauce and pond water had dropped
From 12 drops to 6 drops. On turning colour. From blue to yellow. For years it had
Been 12 drops. Water board had been doing something with the system. I will have to keep an eye on this. If it drops to say 4 drops. I will have to slowly add bicarbonate of soda . To bring it back to around the 7 drop mark. The one good thing is softer water is better for the koi colour s and skin.
Fred

On the koi flashing side of things. I netted four that where flashing. Scraped some mucus of gill plate. And bodys. Top and bottom. They where all clean. Scratching my badly napper now. So I sat and watched them for half an hour. Then I noticed this doitsu matalic fish. In the window. Hanging with its tail slightly up.
So netted it.
Scraped and found flukes under the microscope.
It was gill flukes. Egg layers. So a 2 week treatment. 7 days to kill the flukes. Then another 7 days to kill the eggs. Skin flukes don t lay eggs.
So you can kill them in one course of treatment.
So got some chlormine T. This is to take the mucus off.
Then 12 hours later treat them with fluke m.
Noticed the fish are not flashing anymore.
It's now 7 days. So I will be putting the 2nd dose of fluke m in today.
Birds are carriers of parasites. And I have lots of birds bathing in my top pond.
That's nature.
Fred

Birds are carriers of parasites.

Interesting!? Is it known how the birds get them? Birds that eat snails maybe?

Also, read
It is also generally accepted that fish are exposed to increased Dactylogyrus infections during their spawning period.
And it actually is spawning period atm. At least my goldfish are doing it each year in May. Fortunately yet never had gill flukes, or maybe do but not affected and never showed symptoms.

Also, read

And it actually is spawning period atm. At least my goldfish are doing it each year in May. Fortunately yet never had gill flukes, or maybe do but not affected and never showed symptoms.
What I have read they eat things. So pooing. And also carry them on there feathers. So they carry and pass them on from lake to lake pond to pond. When I watch the birds. They roll about in my top pond shute.
https://www.angelkoi.com/koi-parasites
Fred

Also, read

Gold fish are a lot hardier then koi. My tench orf Rudd grass carp are the same never flash or ail anything. Or show it.
Just the koi

One day I am going to have to build raised Koi pond.
When I go to the pond store at the garden centre the large vat of Koi always look nice to with lovely fish

One day I am going to have to build raised Koi pond.
When I go to the pond store at the garden centre the large vat of Koi always look nice to with lovely fish
Nice one garsands. Once the koi bug gets
You. That's it mate. I have been keeping them for 30 years now . I love the hobby.
And if you decide to build a pond and keep koi. If I can help in any way with tips on the build of the pond. And the help on the fish koi keeping. I am here to help mate.
If you keep koi. The biggest tip I can give you. Is a gravity bottom drain is a must mate.
Fred

blimey Fred you also get about ;) you know me as bowsaw on the koi site
Hello mate you away or home. I have been on here a while now. Only come on now and again. Some good people on here.
Good for plant and aquarium info. Learnt a lot of these guys.
Fred

Hi everyone, unfortunately Fred is not longer with us as he passed away on the 8th January 2021.

This came as very sad news to everyone that knew Fred and it's a great loss for us here too. Our condolences go out to Fred's family and friends.

To prevent questions being asked here we will close this thread.

There is a Tribute page if you would like to leave a message:

RIP Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back