• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Frag rack to suspend houseplants at the waterline ?

Ajm200

Has anyone used a frag rack like this or the corner equivalent to suspend bare rooted house plants in the top of a tank? If the holes are a bit wide I would probably wrap the stems in a bit of floss

My husband has said he’s arranging a holiday and a friend will be pet sitting for us. They will feed tanks but won’t do water changes. One of my tanks is heavily planted but small. I’m thinking of adding a few bare rooted planted to the corner of it while I’m away to take up excess nutrients as the water changes won’t be happening.

I measure out food in pill boxes and can measure out dried ferts too.

I’m thinking maidenhair fern, pottos and maybe spider plantlets. Adding them now so they can adjust (or rot) before we go away

thanks in advance

71l8SXjLVkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hi
If you have some stem plants just do the below tutorial!
hoggie

Hi
If you have some stem plants just do the below tutorial!
hoggie
I have the surface pretty much covered with floating plants already so I was as thinking of having house plants sticking out of the water.

Thinking maidenhair fern above with hydrocotyle hanging down inside the tank from the plant roots

It should work ok temporarily but one day the suckers will give way because they tend to lose their suck quite quickly. If you are going to try Pothos then you can just let the roots dangle as they don't need any substrate.
My Pothos has now reached 8 meters out of the tank and the roots are dangling in the water but the rest of the plant is supported outside the tank. As it grows so fast (mine is about 18 months old and it's a low tech, very low stock, tank with hardly any ferts going in) I think using supports outside the tank works best but some people make metal wire hangers out of bonsai wire, which does a great job.

@ScareCrow has made some of these hangers in the past as seen here in post 47 which shows what you can do with terrestrial growth.

If you need to use something to hold substrate (leca) then there’s bath / shower trays which come in various sizes - they are acrylic with lots of holes in them
Maybe use magnets or some SS wire to keep them in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back