• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Found hardscape rock ID

James Burcham

I'm having trouble figuring out if these stones are aquarium safe. The dark one I believe is Dresser Trap rock from Wisconsin which is described as altered-basalt which it does say is inert however can't find any examples of aquarium use. I've read basalt rock is safe but not sure about the "altered" part. The light stone I have no clue about. Any help would be appreciated.

20190706_130821.jpg
20190706_130841.jpg
20190706_130828.jpg
20190706_130910.jpg
20190706_130903.jpg

Hi all,
They are fine to use, you can see from the fracture lines these are really hard rocks.
I've read basalt rock is safe but not sure about the "altered" part.
It has experienced hydrothermal heating since it was extruded. You get a lot of <"altered andesite"> in the W. of the USA.

<"Flood Basalts"> are mafic rocks, that have been extruded near the Earth's surface and the combination of their chemical composition and rapid cooling gives a dark rock with very small crystals. Have a look at <"Deccan traps">

The lighter rock is also igneous, it is more silica rich rock that has formed deeper in the mantle, and has cooled more slowly, giving bigger crystals. It is a "granite" (although that might not be its proper geological name).

cheers Darrel

Back