• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project Fluval Spec V mk.2 divider bypass

Big G

Doubt any of this will be of interest to non-owners or most other owners but thought I would put it out there. There’s probably a better fix than the one I’ve used below.

Noticed that despite doing the fairly standard modification of blocking the two sump chamber bypasses ( in my case with silicon sealant), I was still getting very turbid water and an accumulation of mulm at the base of the filter chamber. Some of that was potentially being drawn into the pump (mine was gunged after just a week or two) and spat back into the main chamber

I can rule out filter media for the most part as I have upgraded my mechanical media to a three stage/density sponge which traps well.

When once again I drained down the filter/ pump chamber water to about a millimetre I noticed the water level creep back up to about 1 cm within 5 minutes. There’s no water bleed from either of the bypass mods. It’s got to be the seal on the chamber divider base. For now I’ve stuffed some medium foam in the settlement area below the filter rack lip and removed some medium foam at the top of the filter stack to compensate for loss of flow. Net output is fine.

The long term answer is probably to superglue or silicon seal a reinforcing bead along the existing seal joints but I haven’t got a clue how I would get one of my big paws down there to do that without breaking down the ‘scape.

Practically, it’s just a more frequent rinsing of media, which adds an extra few minutes to weekly maintenance .

If you’re finding you’re getting more turbidity than you were or than you want it might be worth a look at this as a source.

I’m sure it’s something I’ve done wrong. Maybe too much messing around in the sump area with replacement media nudged a seal. This isn’t pro-grade, customisable gear and to be fair, it isn’t designed to be.

Guess the lesson for myself is, the designers and engineers know what they’re doing. Not all mods are upgrades.

It’s a great starter and all-in-one tank for a beginner such as I am and is serving me well as I find my feet with this hobby. Allowed me to focus more on plants and shrimp when some of the hardware choices seemed overwhelming. Light imho is plenty to grow low- medium demand plants.No regrets.

Upside is that it starts to focus my thinking on a larger, more modular rig to replace that tank to in due course.

All the best

Bg

Last edited:
I think they might have discontinued the spec v...agreed though it's probably my favourite aio tank

I think they might have discontinued the spec v...agreed though it's probably my favourite aio tank
That’s a real shame. It’s a real doorway in to this hobby for many. Some good mods and info on the web. I kicked mine off when it became clear we were in for a longer ride with Covid.

I know it can get bad press and people can occasionally get a bit sniffy . Fair enough but no one buys a Lamborghini Aventador to find out if they like driving. (If anyone out there does I have a nice bridge for sale ;))

There’s plenty of time further down the line for ADA, custom built low iron float glass, computer controlled mutli-auto feed systems, co2 and drilling holes in the ceiling if that fires your wire. Also, secondhand goldfish bowls, desk lamps, sponge filters or variations on Walsted if that’s more your thing. Both. Combinations thereof.

I like the aspect ratio as much as the aio. Jumped out at me.

Families, kids and born-again new hobbyists probably drive the front end of the industry so it’s got to be big box store available or easily shippable, especially in these unprecedented times.

All the best

Bg

That’s a real shame. It’s a real doorway in to this hobby for many. Some good mods and info on the web. I kicked mine off when it became clear we were in for a longer ride with Covid.

I know it can get bad press and people can occasionally get a bit sniffy . Fair enough but no one buys a Lamborghini Aventador to find out if they like driving. (If anyone out there does I have a nice bridge for sale ;))

There’s plenty of time further down the line for ADA, custom built low iron float glass, computer controlled mutli-auto feed systems, co2 and drilling holes in the ceiling if that fires your wire. Also, secondhand goldfish bowls, desk lamps, sponge filters or variations on Walsted if that’s more your thing. Both. Combinations thereof.

I like the aspect ratio as much as the aio. Jumped out at me.

Families, kids and born-again new hobbyists probably drive the front end of the industry so it’s got to be big box store available or easily shippable, especially in these unprecedented times.

All the best

Bg
I also just started mine up again to breed some epiplatys, it's a tad small for them but good at this stage; the footprint while narrow is very versatile, I'll need to keep an eye out for any on gumtree, as I'm looking for more lockdown projects!

A quick sniff around the web suggests there’s not a problem. Fluval still has them in their line-up on the UK and US site (but I guess they would....right up until they don’t ). Amazon has some. A few independents. Begin to see what you mean. Feels like a , ‘Running down New Old Stock’ situation .

All the best

Bg

A quick sniff around the web suggests there’s not a problem. Fluval still has them in their line-up on the UK and US site (but I guess they would....right up until they don’t ). Amazon has some. A few independents. Begin to see what you mean. Feels like a , ‘Running down New Old Stock’ situation .

All the best

Bg
At one time, pets at home was selling the "new" light version for £50 as well, absolute steal

Has the Spec V not just been renamed the Spec 19 by Fluval?
Interesting.

There’s the Spec 16 which is the 60 litre/ 16 US Gal version. In theory the bigger brother of the Spec V but hasn’t the same aspect ratio, a less tweak-friendly lid and it’s own potential bypass issues....allegedly.

Bg

I’ve just picked one up second hand to get back into the hobby after a number of years without a tank ... may do a journal somewhere soon.

I have scapes it, but no water etc yet as I am awaiting delivery of things
Good luck 👍

I really like it.

I’m sure you’ve seen this but Nate’s site (About - Spec-Tanks) is a good deep-dive. Some of it was excellent advice, some pretty good, some debatable. All valid.

If it’s a mk.1 you might want to look at swapping the light out for a mk2 light or 3rd party somewhere down the line if plants feature heavily in your plans. At least that seems to be the thinking. Who knows for sure.

Journal is a good idea.

All the best

Bg

Thanks bg
It’s a second model so hoping the light is fine.

I have seen nates site and enjoyed some of it... hoping to keep things more simple on this tank!
I hear that. If I had less 'dwell time' than I do currently my 'scape might get a bit too much. Having said that I've come to enjoy that time. Sometimes wish I had kept the original quirky filter sponge with all it's limitations but it is what it is. The original sack of Fluval biomedia is still in the In-Tank stack along with some Matrix and Purigen. It is what it is now.

All in ones gotta be the best shot for reward to input all else being equal, it could be argued.

Give me a nudge if you would be so kind in case I miss the Journal?
Be interested to see what you make of it.

All the best,

Bg

Back