• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Roma? Or similar tank?

BanditCoaxx

Seedling
So basically I'm looking to consolidate two 64l tanks into one, and forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong section. I have been looking at the 200 Roma as ideally I would want that kind of volume, and also preferably nothing more than 1 metre as hoping to fit it in an alcove. I'm looking to run an external filter with external heater and Co2, problem is I'm seeing a lot of people saying they're having to cut into the lid to fit an external filter, which if I didn't have to do would be preferable but if it is what it is then so be it. So firstly are there any other tanks out there more suitable? Or are there any specific external filters that would fit in the space available with the Roma?

Thanks in advance
Ben

ben.

Hi Ben

I have a 240 Roma which i use as a high tech planted tank.

There will be inlet / outlet connections in the bottom of the tank, so enough for a single filter. If you want another you'd have to trim the plastic lid (easy to do).

I managed to fit an FX6 inside the cabinet (you just have to trim or take the shelf out) along with a 306 and other stuff,

What were your plans with it?

See ideally I would like the 240 but unfortunately the alcove is shy of 20cm, both the 64ls have plants and I will be moving from liquid carbon to FE CO2 so want the one tank as have four kids and it all gets a bit faffy lol. The 240 inlet and outlet are next to each other (or maybe they're not, questioned myself as I posted), is this an issue for flow as I've read they should be at opposite ends?

ben.

They are next to each other, i just made a spraybar along the length of the tank. You can add an in-tank circulation pump if needed.

Ive also taken all the lids off to help with heat and to move the light up a bit.

For comparison i pay £20 or £15 for 3kg refill (depends how he feels lol) and £20 deposit from a gas place.

So just had a look at the Vicenza, comes in at 92cm 180l and has bottom inlet and outlet pipes, might have to accept that for what I want and for the width I need I'm gonna have to lose 20l, but I imagine it's hardly noticeable I suppose :/

ben.

Eheim Vivaline is similar 100cm x 40cm x 45cm (high) (size and budget I believe - I’ll admit a bias for Eheim over Fluval)
If you’ve the budget, I’d go with Eheim Proxima 250 as the 100cm x 50cm x 50cm is better dimensions for aquascaping and fish footprint - you might look about for gently used or ex-display models

Roma lighting MUST be upgraded for anything other than (very) low light plants

Do you have a nearby shop where you can look at various branded aquariums?

Eheim Vivaline is similar 100cm x 40cm x 45cm (high) (size and budget I believe - I’ll admit a bias for Eheim over Fluval)
If you’ve the budget, I’d go with Eheim Proxima 250 as the 100cm x 50cm x 50cm is better dimensions for aquascaping and fish footprint - you might look about for gently used or ex-display models

Roma lighting MUST be upgraded for anything other than (very) low light plants

Do you have a nearby shop where you can look at various branded aquariums?

Thank you... For making my life harder... Lol that vivaline would be perfect except the cabinet is 101cm and having ummed and ahhed last night I've decided to settle with what I can find and save my money for later, and perhaps find another spot for the tank in the future

ben.

Back