• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval LED problem

Anne

Seedling
I have a Fluval Aqualife & Plant, P36 light which about 3 to 4 years old. It's on for about 8 hours a day. I'm losing LEDs on it and it's now down to about 70% working LEDs. Can this be repaired or do I have to buy a new light? It's only had about 8,500 hours of use - is this normal for LEDs? I understood that I could expect around 20,000 hours from LEDs, so I'm disappointed.
Thanks,
Anne

You might contact Fluval directly - if there was a recall on this unit, you should receive a replacement, otherwise unlikely as the warranty will have expired (though you may get some "goodwill" through them or your local shop)
I suspect that more of the LED's will fail as 30% have already done so, I'd invest in a new unit rather than attempting a repair of this one
How is heat dissipated? the actual LED's & drive assembly do much better when kept cooler.

Hinterfield (they are a sponsor here) has a UK warehouse so look at their light options, you might also consider Twinstar & others

The 50 000 h rated LED's are definitely better quality so you might use that as a guideline

Thanks alto. Much as I am loathe to spend over £100 on another light, it looks like I have no option! I'll look at Hinterfield; Twinstar had already caught my eye as a possibility.

The top of the Fluval is ridged which I assume is the heat sink - it doesn't seem to get very hot at all.

Is it under a hood? Perhaps it's heat or humidity damage.

No, it's not under a hood. It sits on top of the tank and is open to the air. There is nothing above it.

Back