• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval FX6 with 16 /22m Hose

Simps100

Seedling
Hi all

We bought a Fluval fx6 for our Roma 240 tank we will be making into a planted tank - hopefully giving us more than enough flow rate.

The issue we are having is our tank is drilled in the bottom and has 22m hoses whilst the fx6 hoses are I Beleve 1" - along with that our inline heater and co2 atomizer need the 22m hose.

We are really keen to just use one filter using the already drilled holes for he inlet / outlet to keep things neat and tidy.

I understand using smaller hoses will restrict the flow rate - will it be significant or should we still be ok?

Apart from flow rate is there any other reasons we shouldn't do this - could restricting the flow rate damage the filter for example?

Thanks

Marc

I'm sure with that powerhouse of a filter you don't really need to worry about a few mm difference in diameter restricting flow, or damage especially since it has "Smart Pump Technology".
It'll be fine.

Just Double checked looks like would be changing the FX6 hosing which is 24mm/1" to 16/22mm - bigger difference than i thought but hoping would still give the flow rate needed for our 240l tank?

Cross sectional area of 1" pipe is (25.4/2)*(25.4/2)*3.14 -> 500mm2. 16mm pipe is 200mm2. Thus a flow reduction of over a half (0.4) !!. This a major restriction and I think you will find the FX6 says don't run the filter at less than half flow as well.

May I suggest a 32mm diamond hole drill ? (are about £20 odd).

As for heater and CO2 you can split the 1" pipe into two sections like below. You tweak the valve to get sufficient flow in the 16mm section.
upload_2016-8-17_11-42-45.png

Ok will scrap the idea of using smaller pipes then - there's no point in spending all that money on the filter to more than half its flow.

Have you drilled holes into the bottom of a tank before (or in this case enlarged them)?

As for heater and CO2 you can split the 1" pipe into two sections like below. You tweak the valve to get sufficient flow in the 16mm section.
upload_2016-8-17_11-42-45-png.89053.png
This is how I have integrated my 16/22mm inline CO2 atomiser into my 25mm pressure pipe :) seems to be working a treat.

Drilling a tank is very easy
Need a powerful drill preferably a mains one
The hole cutter is a hollow tube and the only danger is it getting hot which would then crack the glass
To shop this in factories they have a coolant running over the bit, these isn't viable on a tank so the best way I have found is the fill the bit with loose ice (the White crap that builds up in your freezer) it works a treat I've drilled dozens of holes that way

Also you have to start at a slight angle then straighten up once a groove is made

Don't push too hard just a little added weight will do

If in doubt go to nearest glass merchants and grab some scrap or buy some small pieces to practice on
Try get same thickness as your tank
Clamp them well in place before you drill them
Wear private tics goggles etc and be prepared to get a bit wet as the ice melts

You could use one of your practise pieces as a template for the tank
Secure it in place with a bit of silicon around the outside edge so you can easily remove it
Or silicon it in permanently to reinforce the area

Regards
Dean

I have drilled glass before.

1. Make a template, peice of wood with same sized hole as you are drilling and silicone it in place if you can't clamp it. This stops the hole cutter slipping when you start the cut.
2. Build a dam out of plastercine to hold a pond of water over the hole to keep cutter cooled.
3. Take it slowly.
4. I used a battery drill on slow speed to do the cutting. Just use the weight of the drill to cut the glass, no pushing. Clean water pond regularly so that you can see what you are doing, suck out with wet dry vaccum and add fressh water.

Years and years ago I drilled glass using copper tube and grinding paste. The paste sticks to the soft copper to do the cutting. Better & considerably easier nowadays with affordable diamond hole saws.

Just Double checked looks like would be changing the FX6 hosing which is 24mm/1" to 16/22mm - bigger difference than i thought but hoping would still give the flow rate needed for our 240l tank?
OK, 22mm outside diameter:rolleyes:. Good luck with the drilling...

Ok going to drill it - may as well do this properly - what's recommended for the pipe work once we have the proper sized holes drilled?

At the moment there's 2 plastic screw points to screw the pipes into which then connect to the tubing - infact looking at it - wouldn't surprise me if the holes are big enough once the plastic bits are off - just to work out how to get bigger pipes through and watertight!

IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1188.JPG

Also is there a "fish safe" sealant to look out for?

The pipe in my second picture extends through the hole and is what the pipes to the filter attach too - don't worry not doing just yet just planning it out to make sure all goes smooth!
IMG_1101.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG

Looks like these are universal hose tails
They are designed for different diameter pipes
You simply see which part your pipe fits on and then cut of the sections below
So you could have an easy fix for your new pump - a junior hacksaw

Regards
Dean

c71e1793ff7138e8e6d9e885aeed90fd.png

Regards
Dean
Perfect - just tried it out and the size is perfect for the new filter - thanks all for the suggestions!

Now just to split the return hose for the co2 and inline heater - is the co2 ok before the heater or should be it after?

Thanks!

Hiya. I asked Hagen themselves as I too have an FX6 coming today for my Fluval. Here is their response:

Dear Holly,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The FX4 can be used with the through tank connection pipes, we do have sort pipes especially for this purpose in development but do not currently have a release date for these. In the mean time if you wish to fit the FX4 on to your system you can use smooth pipe with a 25mm internal bore, make sure you cut off the narrower hose tail off the connectors, so that you are not reducing the flow through the filter.

Best Regards,

Mike Kelly Customer Service/Technical Advisor

Cross sectional area of 1" pipe is (25.4/2)*(25.4/2)*3.14 -> 500mm2. 16mm pipe is 200mm2. Thus a flow reduction of over a half (0.4) !!. This a major restriction and I think you will find the FX6 says don't run the filter at less than half flow as well.

May I suggest a 32mm diamond hole drill ? (are about £20 odd).

View attachment 89053

So I've tried to make this - I've gone for the fluval hosing reason being this bends much easier without kinking - all togeather now apart from have a couple drip leaks where the fluval hosing connects to the rubber connectors - most of them are ok but a couple are obviously not right - am I ok to use some aquarium silicone to "permanently" attach these rubber connectors to the piping?
IMG_2464.JPG

Back