• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval flex 34l or 9 gallon in white!

DD1880

Was wondering if anyone had experience with this tank and if the white version was prone to staining from algae. I was going to pick one up at my lfs for my kids room and put a betta in it. The white would match way better with the white dresser but was worried if it would look really bad over time. Hoping someone could help with this decision to get the white or black version. Also if it does get algae on it does it wipe or scrape off? Thanks for any help!

I’ve had both the black and white as “temporary” tanks
I surprised myself by preferring the white - the LED colours are very “clean” against the white background and definitely gets my vote for a kid’s room
I’m not much good at growing algae but did have some dragon stone “dust” on the white back, it wiped off very easily with no staining (I know someone that treated with “blue” medications for ich, there was no staining)

I’ve cleaned up a couple used Flex tanks with substantial algae (including one tank that was a couple years old and looked to have never had a water change etc), they took some elbow grease but looked much like new when done

Just check the dresser for suitability as an aquarium stand - this is still 34kg water weight plus tank weight (not much, sorry I can’t seem to find the actual #)

This ikea stand works very well

( :oops: that’s IKEA UK link)

Thanks that helps a lot! I just saw a video on you tube that showed a white back round with algae all over it! Maybe the guy wasn’t good at keeping up with maintenance haha!

I suppose it depends on your maintenance and (over)feeding

I use Tropica Powder soil, few rocks or wood for some hardscape (all wood will leach tannins to some degree so I often prefer stone in low tech setups, especially if I’m hoping to do minimal water changes, ie lots of plants, few livestock ;))

I often let the “rainbow effect LED” run overnight, but limit the white LEDs to ~8 hours initially, extending this to up to 12 hours once plant’s are established

I suppose it depends on your maintenance and (over)feeding

I use Tropica Powder soil, few rocks or wood for some hardscape (all wood will leach tannins to some degree so I often prefer stone in low tech setups, especially if I’m hoping to do minimal water changes, ie lots of plants, few livestock ;))

I often let the “rainbow effect LED” run overnight, but limit the white LEDs to ~8 hours initially, extending this to up to 12 hours once plant’s are established
Yeah in the video he only had the tank running a week and there was green spot algae all over the white background of the flex! Would hate to by the white one for that to happen. Still fighting myself on the decision on white or black version haha! I do plan on using contrasoil and planting heavily from the get go! Scaping with spider wood or manzanita and dragon stone. Would love to use Frodo stone but don’t know where to get that in the states or Chicago area. I use Purigen for that tannins and that stuff works perfect! Crystal clear water.

Last edited:
I’ve had both the black and white as “temporary” tanks
I surprised myself by preferring the white - the LED colours are very “clean” against the white background and definitely gets my vote for a kid’s room
I’m not much good at growing algae but did have some dragon stone “dust” on the white back, it wiped off very easily with no staining (I know someone that treated with “blue” medications for ich, there was no staining)

I’ve cleaned up a couple used Flex tanks with substantial algae (including one tank that was a couple years old and looked to have never had a water change etc), they took some elbow grease but looked much like new when done

Just check the dresser for suitability as an aquarium stand - this is still 34kg water weight plus tank weight (not much, sorry I can’t seem to find the actual #)

This ikea stand works very well

( :oops: that’s IKEA UK link)
Haha it’s a IKEA dresser 3 drawer. I think it’ll be fine. I sat on it for a minute and I weigh 195! Not even a creek out of it! Felt very stable and solid. Plus I have it bolted to the wall! I can’t wait to pic up the flex and scape it. It'll be my first actual full start to finish scape. I’ll make a journal of it on the forum from start to finish! Thanks again for the help!

Back